World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were advising a complete novice, who wanted to get a few 'quick wins', what species do you think they should target? Taking into account: ease of access (not needing a boat or to cast to the horizon), range of baits, range of rigs, but possibly with geographical variation.

In Cornwall, my vote would go to the pollack with wrasse as runner up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think it would be the humble Doggie. Always a dead cert to keep the old rod tip rattling. Easy to catch in large numbers on most baits, at any distance in any weather conditions.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Along the Fylde coast I`d have to say the whiting.
They will come very close in at high water and a simple 2 hook flapper with a small bit of squid will see double hook ups galore.
Not everyone`s idea of fun but when the big baits are quiet it keeps you busy.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It varies from place to place depending on the nature of the bottom, but along the Clyde coastline flounders/dabs will turn up on just about any venue with clean ground, along with doggies :D

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
on anglesey after dark without a doubt f***ing doggies there there by the boat full.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Im gonna dive deep here...

Ok so we know some species can seem very obliging at times, but no matter how easy you think they might be, when you realy want to catch them dont they bite you in the asss??

Likewise on days when you arent expecting much, or not particuklarly wanting a specific species, dont they just anoy you and take anything you throw at them!

On your avverage mark where Dogfsih are abundant you seem to catch stacks of the things.But if you say, yes i will go and garanteee as many as i want,you know what happins!

Colies have a habit of bieng relentless up here! As do mackeral, but then again, when you want to fill the freezer ive had some frustrating sessions searching!

Every species has thier day i believe.... Ive heard of days when anglers claim tope to start bieng a pain taking anything and everything! Wouldnt complain at that

:cool:

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
its got to be blennys or wrasse. thousands of the little blighters off the local pier. great for little ones learning to fish :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Gotta say its Coalies for me.... started off on them as a kid we used to catch hundreds on handlines from the local pier :D

Mind you....if I went after the little sods nowadays I would prolly catch hehaw :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
on east coast beaches its pout, my kids love catchin em! so do i, 2 hook flapper,1 oz bomb,cast it ten yards wait 2 mins, pout after pout and the odd micro whiting!
jesus! were easily pleased here.lol

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
gilthead seabream from any beach where i live

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Um Bass tried feathering for mackeral t'other day and stil ended up catching one :eek:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Easiest to catch -- CRABS.(Aquatic variety :p )

There again i bet if you wanted to catch them you wont.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Definately the coalfish up this way. Sometimes I think they fight each other to throw themselves on the hook. But this is usually only the small ones. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts