World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of planning yesterday finally came. East coast trip from Auchmithie down to east haven was the plan. The 3 hour drive was a killer so we stopped at the closest mark which was east haven at 6pm and pretty much ran onto a wee mark we wer told about and there's not even a breeze with the tide coming in. 10 mins in stevens rod bounces right out the rest, we think this is the first of 2014 but nothing. Baits stripped. 10 mins later it was the same this time it was like he hooked a speed boat goin the opposite direction then snap!!! the hook fails. I felt for him. Nothing happened for a good hour until we wer packing up to go to Auchmithie, I get a nibble, im thinking the blanks off just waiting on it taking it again. Nothing!!!! Headed up to Auchmithie cracking looking spot but very rocky and the wind was now starting to build , we gave it a go into the old harbour then on the left hand side into the bay 2 hours down its 10.30 and weve had a couple of bites from probably bait fish let's go to arbroath harbour we decide. Arbroath is packed with some serious characters, the cages and in between the cages are full. We wer like strangers walking into a small village pub but we go out to the end of the harbour talking to a couple of guys who gave us a heads up on baits and catches ect and try ther at the red railings. We couldn't get casting much further than the harbour mouth due to the wind and where we wer standing. It felt pointless. Not to be beaten we again went to east haven on the way home and it was crazy by this time. Wind was pretty much blowing us off our feet and the 6 oz weights wer no use in getting any distance or accuracy, we slogged it out in the wind and rain which felt like needles piercing ur face and finally gave in at 2.am. battered and bruised we headed on the long route home but we'll be back soon. Anyone else have better luck last night?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
What was the weed like at East haven mate? Any bungalow sized chunks on the beach?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol ther was some weed scattered around various points but most wer washed ashore in big piles the sea was brown but clear of weed. we walked to the left where the rocks are and fished beside a big pipe we, only had a couple o snags m8 and they wer rocks I think. Did u get out? We decided we'd hit a few marks just to see them more than fish them so I didn't want u headin all the way down ther to fish for 2 hours. U fancy a wee trip out in the next 2 or 3 week's. Id like to try east haven again or a decent cage at Arbroath.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yeah I went down to Lunan for a few hours. Give me a shout if you do head over mate, always up for wetting a line.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Had a flounder, could see the superbright headlamps at Usan from Lunan!
Was on my norm mate yes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They must've scattered when the weather changed tho unless they are totally mental. going by the pictures and maps of the area, it looks like a great place but very dangerous in bad weather. Its no the same on ur tod ive got to fish hard, keep biz and block out the noises and shadows that creep about. I nearly [email protected] myself last night when steven went further along the harbour and a rat came charging at my bait box I was sitting on. That woke me up. Thats good u caught tho did u stay out when the weather changed?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well done on your effort, unlucky on the fishing front nothing worse than a long drive to end up with a poor nights fishing, better luck on your next trip out.:thumbs:
Cheers, Gerry.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
They must've scattered when the weather changed tho unless they are totally mental. going by the pictures and maps of the area, it looks like a great place but very dangerous in bad weather. Its no the same on ur tod ive got to fish hard, keep biz and block out the noises and shadows that creep about. I nearly [email protected] myself last night when steven went further along the harbour and a rat came charging at my bait box I was sitting on. That woke me up. Thats good u caught tho did u stay out when the weather changed?
Left for home about 6:30 mate. Weather was still dry and calm.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Unlucky on the fish front, the weather turned very quickly and was bitterly cold we were up at Usan, Gourdon and finished up at Bervie
Bert(old yin)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Cheers scroggs 62. You win some u lose some. It'll pay off at some point. U out in that area urself much?
.....No, Hopefully be over that way in the coming months, only made it as far as Anstruther your side and Girvan up
the west coast last time, ....want to fish the East Coast beaches/marks like Auchmithie, Ferryden and Inverbervie
up to Aberdeen this year, the fishing drops off for a while down this way with even the Flatties moving off to
deeper water, started off promising with reports of early Codling around the Fylde coast and surrounding areas but
this has changed to Whiting...(mainly Pins with a few decent thrown in)... and hoards of "Micro Codlets" which maybe
is a good sign for next season ! ....Tight Lines and keep the faith.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im west coast m8. Just above ayr. Nothings happening up here this winter ive learned over the coarse of a year that the clyde in early summer through to autumn can give good sport and throw up the odd big fish from the shore but as u say thers loads of small codling sometimes in plague proportions which hopefully get a chance to grow into next years dinner plate size. Hence the fact im looking at east coast for now. Goin to eyemouth and around ther soon.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That all sounds too familiar. Had same problems last week.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I was further north playing at lighthouses with a super bright light(you really do need them on a night like last night). I managed a wee Codling, but it was hard going with weed/undertow making it near impossible to hold the bottom, just one of those nights I guess.

·
Registered
326 Posts
hi mate,i will get you on the Pollack this year,ive got an idea for conger from the shore on the south east of Scotland.....info will follow,cheers chris

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Better than a blank m8 just be carefull u dont bring any planes down tho when u look up at the sky wi that torch I got a new one last week for 30 quid and the range is 800 meters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts