World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if there are many sharks on the east coast particularly around the forth?.
As i'm thinking of trying my luck in the forth once I can get my boat out.
All the posts about shark fishing seem to be either on the west coast or further up north??

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
There are porgies caught down here in Yorkshire so I don’t see why they can’t be any near you.
But your best bet is probably a trip out of scrabster area as they are more consistent up there.
Good luck fella

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Never seen one fin in 5 years kayaking the east coast but there again I only saw one or two when I used to fish out of Plymouth from the boats...

I'd try off the east neuk when the mackerel are about, good tidal flow dropping into deep water, tight lines.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are porgies caught down here in Yorkshire so I don’t see why they can’t be any near you.
But your best bet is probably a trip out of scrabster area as they are more consistent up there.
Good luck fella
do you have any idea what depth they set the lines for the porgies??

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
deffo in the forth
last 2 years only seen 3 basking sharks from 30 yds away
and there are deffo porgies as said before when mackies are thick on the ground
didnt see any last year as i was not out due to ill health
but have seen fins on surface and 1 huge boil on the water with mackies on surface
seen the dolphins do this but this was totally dif
also nick the fish showed me the video of him wrestling with one tangled in his creel ropes
fish was prob 100 lbs and was not chuffed at being hauled out by the tail
if nick is on he might post it
cheers
Iain

·
Registered
640 Posts
They are in the Moray firth.
Sure I read something about Porbeagles being in the area when there are squid about.... might just be cabin fever though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Closest ive seen to a shark in the Forth was a vid. Of a spotted doggy in methil harbour!!

Plenty dolphins, porpoises, even pilot whales,...but they're hard to catch...;)

Ive been sailing, boating and fishing West of Inchkeith for 35 years.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
A Porgie over a 100lb turned up in one of the deeper water Salmon nets in Lunan Bay 10 or more years ago, it ended up at Billingsgate fish market.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
ma boat.jpg
RE PORBEAGLES IN EAST NEUK
PLUS A COUPLE OF OLD FONE VIDS OF WHAT IS OUT THERE AT METHIL
and tope at methil my vid got hijacked
re sharks bill ness leven fishmonger used to buy a tope or a porbeagle that was landed at pitenweem and displayed them in his shop window
they are not common but THEY are there mackies and later on the squid keep them occupied
Iain

1 - 14 of 14 Posts