World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
only ever surfed there, but never really seen a fisherman.
maybe thats the answer, although Cromer pier is just a stones throw away and i know West Runton can be good too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats kind of the reason we thought about going there, can take the boards and surf during the day and fish the night. Possibly could go to sherringham?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you don't catch much then keep a keen eye out in the chalky deposits when the tide retreats as my wife often finds fossils and sharks teeth there

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Very good spinning and plugging at the Runtons. Surface poppers work there as the bass come in over the rock.Best time to try is on the first of the flood once the water clears, which is usually the lazy days of summer. Early morning and late evening is best as ever, especially after a hot day when the sand exposed at low tide warms the water up. Don't bother if there is any chop on the water.
As for this time of year, it's well worth fishing with bait if you can find a bit of cleaner ground. Runton ouzes peeler crab which the bass quite like and they will be sniffing about big time about now. If you get chance to have a recce at low water it will pay to find a few sandy areas . A few years back there was a nice peice of ground which could be bottom (bait) fished to the right of the slipway where the cliff dips. I'd guess it's near the end of the rape (yellow bit in the picture) which was taken from Beeston bump yesterday. I suppose this area is 800 yards or so from the slip. Whether it's still clean I don't know. Unlike lure fishing a bit of chop can help especially if it comes from the west or north or between.
Another good spot is to the left (NNW) of the slip at the "spike" at Beeston. The spike is a tower of harder material where the sea has washed behind. Whether it is a coincidence or not I don't know but there were always bass up there and probably still are.
The picture is there to give a perspective of those who live from afar. It's terribly underfished and good luck if you have a go there. It's not for the faint hearted but bass to the size of the pier fish are in the vicinity and know they can't be netted because of the rock. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BlueJacket, thanks very much for the brilliant reply.
I am going to go up on sunday and I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I seem to remember a short DVD (think it was called "predators" or something similar) with Paul Kerry fishing for bass at either East or West Runton. They found peelers etc at low tide and then fished the tide up, and caught a bass at the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts