World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edgey, along with Fishy Rob and Slayer met up at the Bus Stop at 7.00am today, shortly after we were joined by Howie.

The day had a slow start, part of the problem being that Edgey and Fishy-rob didn't get their hands on any rag until 9.30am.

Howie broke the duck with a pretty small plaice. Fishyrob then landed a minute Bass. Howie then landed a roach-paper size Plaice.

It got to 1 hour after high tide, 2.30pm and things were looking decidedly shakey.

Then Edgey, who had absorbed some OTG casting tips from Fishy-rob and Howie and was consistently launching a bait out to about 100 yards, noticed a single knock on the rod.

2.5lbs plaice, lip-hooked, kissed cuddled and returned.

There was a distinct green shade spreading from the other anglers.

1 hour later, a small tap and Edgey landed a 1.5lb Flounder. Half an hour on from that he topped the day with a 2lb Flounder, albeit there was some discussion that it might have been a Dab. It was in fact a flounder.

The others eventually listened to the Master; that's enough compliments. Ed. and started to follow Edgey's example by using Rag tipped with Squid. By then of course as Edgey had emptied the entire surrounding area of fish, and despite carefully returning them to allow the others to have go, they all failed miserably:roll1: .

Anyway to cut a long story short, Edgey's two previous attempts at the beach blanked completely and therefore he has paid a huge bribe to the reporter to write this up.

·
Banned
431 Posts
you fished well to day your casting is loads better just keep it up and you will be hitting 150 otg very soon but ed what you fail to mention was the group of divers that you paid to put those fish on the hook for you lol afer the trips you have made at eastney and blanked you deserve to have a day when you alone was the only 1 on that beach to catch fish in size oh it wasnt 2 plaice i had ed it was 1 dab and 1 plaice both fish were that small that the fitted into my hand but anyway ed well done for a good catch today.May i say that is the last time you will beat me ed lol well done ed you should be really happy with your self i no that me and rob and slayer were all happy that you were catching we were even saying how the fk is he doing it.oi next time you will have to give us all a head start say 4 fish in size lol well done again edgy the golden balls lol

G

·
Edgey, along with Fishy Rob and Slayer met up at the Bus Stop at 7.00am today, shortly after we were joined by Howie.

The day had a slow start, part of the problem being that Edgey and Fishy-rob didn't get their hands on any rag until 9.30am.

Howie broke the duck with a pretty small plaice. Fishyrob then landed a minute Bass. Howie then landed a roach-paper size Plaice.

It got to 1 hour after high tide, 2.30pm and things were looking decidedly shakey.

Then Edgey, who had absorbed some OTG casting tips from Fishy-rob and Howie and was consistently launching a bait out to about 100 yards, noticed a single knock on the rod.

2.5lbs plaice, lip-hooked, kissed cuddled and returned.

There was a distinct green shade spreading from the other anglers.

1 hour later, a small tap and Edgey landed a 1.5lb Flounder. Half an hour on from that he topped the day with a 2lb Flounder, albeit there was some discussion that it might have been a Dab. It was in fact a flounder.

The others eventually listened to the Master; that's enough compliments. Ed. and started to follow Edgey's example by using Rag tipped with Squid. By then of course as Edgey had emptied the entire surrounding area of fish, and despite carefully returning them to allow the others to have go, they all failed miserably:roll1: .

Anyway to cut a long story short, Edgey's two previous attempts at the beach blanked completely and therefore he has paid a huge bribe to the reporter to write this up.
Crickey! Well done mate. One question was the sun out or was it overcast?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Good indepth report as i was wondering how its fishing this week .
How were the conditions ,good for plaice ? iffy ? are the trawlers sweeping through yet ?how busy was it down there, were you on the redhot spot ?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Good result for you today edgey, it was good to see you catch some nice fish, that plaice was a SPOT on, good on you for putting it back aswell! It would have came home if it was myn.
My day was a bit slower then edgeys to say the least, tried crab and rag but unfortunatly blanked, it was good to get out and meet edgey howie and fishyrob.
i thought i might have had something but edgey was cathing them before they go to my bait.lol
nice one

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crickey! Well done mate. One question was the sun out or was it overcast?
The weather at 0700 was not nice. A bit of rain, sleet and snow on the way there and also cold. 1.5 degrees.

By 9.30 it was mild and warmer.

By Midday as we were all getting depressed, we decided the water colour was the problem. Least ways it was all of our excuses.

By 2.30pm, of course from my point of view, everything was just right, a bit of sun, a bit overcast, the water colour perfect, what else could one want.

To be fair, it was my turn for the luck, Fishyrob, Slayer, Howie all fished as hard as I did, in fact harder, but then sometimes brilliance wills out:yucky: :yucky:

It was great to meet Slayer, he casts a very good line, far better than I do, Howie, well you can't say anything about him, he knows his stuff, and Fishyrob, ditto.

At the end of the day, if you have a line wet, you have half a chance.

What more can I say.

I had a greeeeeeeeeat DAY.

In answer to the trawlers issue and quantities of fisherman.

I have no evidence of trawling, doesn't mean to say it hasn't happened. There was a potter who left a string of whelk, we think, pots 200 yards off the beach, there does appear to be a fish-holding hole about 90-100-110 yards off the beach about I dunno 50 yards east of the bus-stop. No guarantee it will be there to-morrow of course.

There were present, Me of course, Fishyrob, Slayer, Howie and I saw a long way off two or three others.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Henry my friend.........I am absolutely made up for you :clap3: you make out that you are only there to enjoy yourself and don't worry too much about what (if anything) you catch. I am on to you mate..........the excitement of your report and the tiny bit of bragging gives it away in spades!! lol.

Much admiration there mate. See you Mon. :notworthy

Andy. :)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Henry my friend.........I am absolutely made up for you :clap3: you make out that you are only there to enjoy yourself and don't worry too much about what (if anything) you catch. I am on to you mate..........the excitement of your report and the tiny bit of bragging gives it away in spades!! lol.

Much admiration there mate. See you Mon. :notworthy

Andy you should have been there to see hes face, smile from ear to ear, he was totaly made up:) and rightly so!

Are you boys out for a sesh on monday then?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Well, Henry Hugh Henry, You fished a blinder, and caught. I'm wondering if the plaice are slip slipping away though because the tide and conditions werent terrible for plaice, expecially as the tide rose and the water cleared a little. Didnt notice any caught by the "Valkyrie" either, who twice came and fished 500 yards offshore. Your trip on Monday will reveal more. Maybe the bigger tide had someting to do with it. Lee is often saying it fishes better on a small tide. Time will tell!! I carried on fishing, and fished the new flood up. I was looking for a better bass, but caught six schoolies and five pouting. My DVice caught all but one bass, because I was head hooking the ragworm, letting them swim, but still getting distance. Packed up on the top of the tide, cos I was worrying about the drive home. Not a hugely productive trip for me. Will write it up in the diary tonight and post the picture.

I also had a great day. Sh*te fishing (for me, Stuart and Lee) in good company is still better than sh*te fishing on your own!!

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Andy you should have been there to see hes face, smile from ear to ear, he was totaly made up:) and rightly so!

Are you boys out for a sesh on monday then?
Hey bud........Yeah well made up for the 'old fella'!! lol. :notworthy

Myself, Henry and a few others will be fishing (weather permitting, but forecast is good at the mo') about 500 yards off that beach in Pete Churchill's boat 'Moonshine'..........can't wait. Have a look at www.fishyrob.co.uk and Rob's diary for 16th March to see how it went last time.

Best Wishes.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Well guys we sure did get our ass kicked yesterday by edgey i think our problem rob,slayer,and my self wasthat we were all over casting and casting over the fish while ed was casting out 90 yrds in to the fish zone as he alone was pulling in the dam fish.but guys if you cast your mind back to when all the plaice were coming out from the beach it was a warm bright day and a sw wind 2,3 mph unlike yesterday it was a nw 69 mph cold overcast day i think giving those conditions that is why the fish were,nt showing well on the beach it doesnt make any difference during the dark hours as the bass will come out to play.But in daylight i really think you need really good conditions to have a good day catching the plaice look at the times ive had the plaice its been bright sunshine hardly any wind sea flat calm so i think the best time for them is when the sun has got his hat on and he is coming out to play i think now eastney will prob have about 3 weeks left for the plaice as they seem to have come in early then the plaice will go to hayling island then when they leave there they will be anywhere
tight lines
lee

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that, Howie ..... I wish you lads had kept the precise marks you fish to yourselves or PMs.

It was obvious your choice of venue was being targeted today by a trawler (100metres); a whelk potter (70 metres out) and some trammels.

You are much better saying 'Southsea' area than locating within 80 yards where the fish are coming from.

If you go there tomorrow look out for white buoys with a string of pots and some mono nets.

By the way, which of you lads uses Red Ice ..... thanks for the traces!

I was there yesterday when they were dropping the Whelk Pots in the same place.

The commercials know better than us when the fish are there. Posting reports on here won't make the slightest difference. Posts about Eastney Bus Stop have been going on for at least 3 weeks and the Bus Stop is a more than well known hotspot.

I don't use red ice. I didn't lose any rigs.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
If that, Howie ..... I wish you lads had kept the precise marks you fish to yourselves or PMs.

It was obvious your choice of venue was being targeted today by a trawler (100metres); a whelk potter (70 metres out) and some trammels.

You are much better saying 'Southsea' area than locating within 80 yards where the fish are coming from.

If you go there tomorrow look out for white buoys with a string of pots and some mono nets.

By the way, which of you lads uses Red Ice ..... thanks for the traces!
Have to agree with Henry there Aiden. On all counts. I've been fishing the Southsea aea for the last twenty one years, and there have always been trawlers running that beach every spring. A lot of the time also, people mistake the scallop dredgers for trawlers. The boat dropping the whelk pots might even do us a favour, cos I have caught a lot more whelks than plaice down there. What isnt so funny is that he waved as he was dropping the pots, which at the bottom of the tide were easily within casting range, and forced us to move. Attached are some piccies. P2, must be a very old Portsmouh commercial. You would think that he would not want to deliberately wind up anglers, in the interests of common harmony. They always get touchy when I take pictures of them. Dont know why. Perhaps I should look further into it. Did Freud do any work with trawlerman?
Didnt see any sign of trammels, but it wouldnt suprise me.
If we didnt post accurate directions for people wanting to fish there, it wouldnt be very fair. Its a hard enough beach anyway, and if somebody wants to get off their backside and give it a go, then they should be encouraged and given every help. If we were to start posting dummy locations, as I believe some people on here have been known to do, it is against the spirit of the forum, which I believe is to share knowledge and promote angling. In your role as guide and coach, and angling journalist, it is a responsibility that you should feel more than any other. It is very much in your interest to get more people fishing. So, I for one will continue to give people help when they ask for it. I'm very suprised that you would prefer to keep locations secret. And how secret is posting Eastney in the Southern Daily Echo plus I have heard Sea Angler and TSF. Do commercials only read forums? The way you are posting us up suggests that Henry, Lee and myself will be single handedly responsible for the decline of the plaice off that beach. Well, dont worry, because my personal belief is that the fish have come and gone allready.

Attachments

·
Banned
431 Posts
it wasnt me i didnt put it in the paper adrian i didnt give the mark away think you should speak to 1 of your mates on here

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is the nature of the beast i'm afraid. I didn't have a bucket to put it in, as it was only lip-hooked I reckenoned it had a very good chance of survival if returned, and indeed it swam off at a rate of knots.

Thanks for the other Piccys. If anyone for whom I buying bait needs to know what I look like, see Fishyrob's Diary. I am the extremely good-looking Greek God standing behind the Flounder:) :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They can be at fourty yards, but I would say that the bigger bags of fish have been taken at 100 + yards. I should think that if you can get baits in the water you are always in with a chance. Its not an easy beach even if you can cast a very long way!!
My one was 90-110 yards out, as were the flounders, albeit one was caught 40 yards out 2 weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts