World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly let me say....mods please indulge me here; I know this is a boat report, but I don't generally get the time to read the other sections let alone post on them (and the report is quite relevant to the shore) soooo please leave it here?! Thanks. :kissing:

Having had a great trip out of Southsea marina the other week on Pete Churchill's 'Moonshine' and realising that the plaice won't be there forever; I hastily arranged a trip for yesterday. Plan was to fish off Eastney at various ranges from the beach and hopefully get amongst any plaice that the trawlers might have left behind. Wasn't the greatest tide really (a bit small), but committments, work and other irritations dictated the day and we simply had to make do with the hand we had been dealt.

Plan was for myself, Stephen and James to go down to the New Forest the night before and have a bit of a session :drunk: with Robbie, who had promised to cook us an amazing roast dinner. Henry was going to join us at the marina in the morning. First kick in the testicles arrived when Pete rang early afternoon on Sunday to tell me that the steering was broken on his boat!! :bangin: We had two options: knock it on the head and go on Tuesday or take a chance that he could get it fixed and have a late one as planned on the day. As not one of us could make Tuesday anyway, we went for option two.

Given the late start, we over indulged of course and were not quite expecting Pete to ring and tell us that the boat was fixed and that we could leave by about midday. Having got to bed at about 4am, we arrived hung over and bleary eyed, to find the boat in perfect working order (well done Pete, you're a legend :clap2: ).

We set out and were finally all fishing by about 1.30pm. We tried several different marks, some close to the beach and some a bit more distant, but everyone struggled and we hardly had a bite worth talking about :schmoll:. The usual rules applied (£5 biggest fish, £5 most fish) but I was seriously wondering if either goal was going to be reached.

We fished on and all became very despondent (Pete was being extremely sarcastic with regards our efforts......... but I think he knew the score obviously). It was a small tide and the fish were only ever likely to feed for a short time and so it turned out. James dropped a small one as it came into the boat, one or two others also lost fish on the approach to the boat and then Robbie nailed a small plaice. After a bit of a lull, the plaice fed quite heavily. Robbie caught again, Stephen had one, then James and then Robbie got his hatrick, before Stephen nailed the biggest fish of the day at 3lb.

Robbie ended the day with the most fish (4 all in size), Stephen had 3 (2 plaice in size and one dab that was returned), Pete had 3 fish (2 bass, 1 in size, 1 not and a half decent pollack), James finished with 3 plaice (all in size) and Henry managed one plaice (in size) BECAUSE............................

I blanked!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

There you go! Organise a trip, bring along a load of mates, only one of which is particularly experienced in fishing off boats, give guidance on rig tying... even tie the rig for the person who caught the most fish and then blank! That's just fishing for you isn't it?! lol

All things considered, a wonderful day all round and it was really nice to see all my mates catch. Many thanks to Pete who is an absolute diamond (bit of a sarcastic so-and-so though lol). The weather was awesome, the company second to none and despite catching f*ck all, I had a tremendous 24 hours and the roast beef dinner was the best I've ever had! :notworthy:

DON'T LET IT EVER BE SAID THAT I ONLY POST REPORTS WHEN I CATCH lol

Regards all

Andy :)

PS. James has got some lovely pictures which he's promised to add.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Another good report like always Andy , Well done with the blank mate was it a pb?
I take it that was you about 4/500 yards offshore in line with the bus shelter then? once about 1 ish for a short time and then back about 3 for a couple of hours

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another good report like always Andy , Well done with the blank mate was it a pb?
I take it that was you about 4/500 yards offshore in line with the bus shelter then? once about 1 ish for a short time and then back about 3 for a couple of hours
Yes mate, that would probably have been us. We tried several spots and had only had fish when they were prepared to feed; then we (or rather they!!) had all the fish in about 2 1/2 hours.

Lots to learn of course!!

All the best.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yes mate, that would probably have been us. We tried several spots and had only had fish when they were prepared to feed; then we (or rather they!!) had all the fish in about 2 1/2 hours.

Lots to learn of course!!

All the best.

Andy.
Spot on report there my mate, it really is a mystery that a man with such a passion for the sport whether it be boat or beach has these days where the plans fail to hard side of luck. I feel for you mate i really do.
My only concern in your report is the fact that you mentioned you were a bit hung over, now pardon me if i am wrong but i seriously trust that there was a designated driver to transport you to your vessle as to feel hung over, even if you were not over the limit would still constitute that you were not in a healthy and balanced state of mind. Sorry if this feels like a bit of a preach but i really can't stand the thought of some mindless fool getting behind the wheel without concerns for his/her own safety not to mention other road users and pedestrians. I myself dont drink so have no sympathy for those that do get themslves in these states and take the risk, i may seem like a pot calling the kettle black as i am a herbal smoker but i will only confine that to my own home and never drive, plus the bonus being when you wake up in the morning you feel fine. Just a shame it makes you forget where you left the car keys and why you married the woman in your bed.lol
See you sunday mate, lets just hope for a good days fish up bud....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Spot on report there my mate, it really is a mystery that a man with such a passion for the sport whether it be boat or beach has these days where the plans fail to hard side of luck. I feel for you mate i really do.
My only concern in your report is the fact that you mentioned you were a bit hung over, now pardon me if i am wrong but i seriously trust that there was a designated driver to transport you to your vessle as to feel hung over, even if you were not over the limit would still constitute that you were not in a healthy and balanced state of mind. Sorry if this feels like a bit of a preach but i really can't stand the thought of some mindless fool getting behind the wheel without concerns for his/her own safety not to mention other road users and pedestrians. I myself dont drink so have no sympathy for those that do get themslves in these states and take the risk, i may seem like a pot calling the kettle black as i am a herbal smoker but i will only confine that to my own home and never drive, plus the bonus being when you wake up in the morning you feel fine. Just a shame it makes you forget where you left the car keys and why you married the woman in your bed.lol

That seems a bit harsh m8 could be opening a big can of worms for someone.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

There wasn't a worry. He wasn't driving, I was, and I can only just walk, talking at the same time can be a problem of course.

Andy is not aka Blankerman for nothing you know!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts