World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am going to have a few days of from the 27 th to the 31st and looking somewhere to have a bash with my sons,I fancy a bit of float fishing for Mackerel or Wrasse maybe Bass. Also a bit of lure fishing,due to Gout and a bit of arthritis somewhere not to difficult to access. Just looking for a few hours a day before a beer or ten and BBQ.
Any help welcome,not looking for the Sacred spots or anything. Any worth while Piers in the Norfolk area?

Cheers,
Bill.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Hmmm Norfolk perhaps not the best place to target those 3 species (or anything else) on the float, though it can of course produce surprises.

Whereabouts are you going to be staying Bill? As on those dates it could take almost a day just to get through the traffic from one end of Nawfuk to the other!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where to go just yet, just putting out feelers I could go on Monday evening when the Bank Holiday rush is over and stay to Friday. Isn't there any Piers in Norfolk?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Yup 3, Hunstanton, Cromer and Gorleston.

I know nowt about the first.

Cromer produces Bass and the odd Mackerel, but it's a long way down with a pretty strong tide flow, I've never seen anyone float fish it, though others may know differently? It also gets rammed with tourists.

Gorleston is a concrete structure with a strong flowing river Yare emptying into the sea on one side and the open sea on the other. A few Wrasse do get caught here, always the chance of a Bass but Mackerel as rare as rocking horse poo.

A bit further south and over the border in Suffolk they have the Lowestoft South pier, this is almost a carbon copy of Gorleston but with much less flow in the harbour. This is probably your best bet for float fishing in the area as it has less flow and some man made rock features, with several species including Wrasse, Pollack, Mullet, Schoolies, Pout, Ting, Blenny and even the occasional Tadpole fish being caught here. Ideally you'll need a drop net if you hook anything decent. Oh and be careful, as they're even weirder than us in Suffolk!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Yup 3, Hunstanton, Cromer and Gorleston.

I know nowt about the first.

Cromer produces Bass and the odd Mackerel, but it's a long way down with a pretty strong tide flow, I've never seen anyone float fish it, though others may know differently? It also gets rammed with tourists.

Gorleston is a concrete structure with a strong flowing river Yare emptying into the sea on one side and the open sea on the other. A few Wrasse do get caught here, always the chance of a Bass but Mackerel as rare as rocking horse poo.

A bit further south and over the border in Suffolk they have the Lowestoft South pier, this is almost a carbon copy of Gorleston but with much less flow in the harbour. This is probably your best bet for float fishing in the area as it has less flow and some man made rock features, with several species including Wrasse, Pollack, Mullet, Schoolies, Pout, Ting, Blenny and even the occasional Tadpole fish being caught here. Ideally you'll need a drop net if you hook anything decent. Oh and be careful, as they're even weirder than us in Suffolk!! :rolleyes:
Cheeky monkey:BigGrin:

·
Registered
95 Posts
cromer is not a good venue to float fish also they have put some fishing restrictions on some areas of the pier which has made it harder to fish as there is limited space and lots of people crabbing as well as people fishing i find its more of a winter spot when he beach is hard to fish due to rough tides

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just got back from Cornwall, all thise species on lure and float. Brighton too if you dont want to go that far. Dont rule out trying something different like long range float tactics with a beachcaster on the NN shingle. Chance of macks and gar using mack strip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts