World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I had booked to bed on the Brittany coast for the past two weeks. Unfortunately the coronavirus went and scuppered those plans fairly sharpish. As a reaction a campsite was booked in fast fashion by my girlfriends parents and the invite extended. To say I was excited was an understatement... Quick scan on google maps gave way to many possibilities or so I thought.. I have done a fair bit of bass fishing and enjoyed some success. Mostly in Sussex where really you need a nice northerly wind of some description with good clarity and your away. The only other place where I have spent real time is on the northwales coast around the Llyn and done pretty well up there as well.

Back to the subject matter, Dorset. The anticipation had been mountings I tidied up the last few bits of work on Friday before the 3.5 hour drive down. Quick belt along the M25 and down past Stonehenge. Quick stop at McDonalds to fuel the last hours drive was bang on.

Set up the tent and the rods in tandem before sitting down for a well deserved beer. I was licking my lips at the thought of landing some fine Dorset bass...

I was unable to leave early sudnfay morning as I wasn't sure if the gates would have been locked at the site... this perhaps proved to be a mistake...

Instead the first sessions was met with high winds and lots and lots of weed and colour. I wasn't is Sussex! I didn't think this happened in the south west!?!?!

Mark had kindly given me a few pointers as to where may be best to try. Thanks again Mark, as per discussion breakfast will be on me at some point!

I licked my wounds for a few days whilst struggling to find time to head off whilst also spending time with my other half. (Whilst in Wales last week I may have been trying to make use of the extreme amounts of bait in the bay... few stern words).

Mark suggested I try along Chesil. Great I thought, A nice shingle beach with a small bit of surf slightly rougher than I was use to but happy for the challenge.

I stumbled along the beach lucky to not fall over.. I have to say what an incredible place! It is huge. Nothing but shingle for miles. The power of the Wave was emmence. I must have spent a good 5 minutes jaw dragging the pebbles looking at this thing. Thinking "How the F*** am I going to manage this???"

On went the Zonk and I just could not keep in contact with it. Now I am no surf expert let alone chisel expert, let alone any kind of bass expert! But the pebble bank was about the size of a small house.. 20/30ft high. and the waves coming in a similar size. I was lost! I tried walking a patch over the breakers whilst I could keep in contact this just attracted the seagulls... after accidentally hooking 2 the other day I really didn't want a repeat especially drowning them in the breaker... So I switched to the seeker this was better and I plodded along quite happily for a while then switched to a save gear sandal trying to buzz in about in the gutter after about a mile but I just didn't have the confidence to keep going with my passport about to expire so I trundled off home, broken but in time for dinner!

Dorset has given me a large dose of humble pie. I have to be honest, I'm a bit gutted. I don't like blanking!

But its a must if you want to succeed. Im determined to crack chesil. I will have to return at some point perhaps without the other half. Ive got a lot of learning to do. But attempting to become a more rounded angler can never be bad thing? Thats the great thing about lure fishing the learning curve continues to be properly steep!

So if anybody says Dorset is easy. Wait for the 25-50Mph gusts, they may change your mind...

Thanks again to Mark and ervybody else for their Lure recomendations. You are a bunch of gents!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was on Chesil on Monday for a few hours.....rough and windy and very difficult. Also two small sons in tow so not really focused on the fishing.
Needless to say nothing caught.
But its a fantastic place to be...some of the best beach casting anywhere in the country and beautiful scenery to boot!
20200521_202442.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
The big bit of water on the left is Portland Harbour...the smaller ones behind is the Fleet...you can pick out Ferry Bridge where the Fleet joins the harbour.
This one is from the hill behind Abbotsbury
20190820_160100~2.jpg

Needless to say neither picture was taken on monday!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was on Chesil on Monday for a few hours.....rough and windy and very difficult. Also two small sons in tow so not really focused on the fishing.
Needless to say nothing caught.
But its a fantastic place to be...some of the best beach casting anywhere in the country and beautiful scenery to boot! View attachment 1295377
Haha, I had no such excuse, bad dangling purely in n my part!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fished Chesil for the first time at last year’s lure meet. It took 9 hours of blanking in the wind, rain and spray before I hooked up, even with plenty of local experts on hand. Possibly one of the most “rewarding” fish I’ve ever caught.
View attachment 1295387
Aye, 9 hours sliding on shingle I’d need new calves!

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,447 Posts
I fished Chesil for the first time at last year’s lure meet. It took 9 hours of blanking in the wind, rain and spray before I hooked up, even with plenty of local experts on hand. Possibly one of the most “rewarding” fish I’ve ever caught.
View attachment 1295387

Nice picture to boss...
Not a easy day for sure.....
9 hours,,, of blanking lol...

Got to love easy Dorset...

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,447 Posts
Aye, 9 hours sliding on shingle I’d need new calves!

Nice report mate,,.
Sorry Dorset NOT AS EASY as it's made out...

Hate to say the evening you blanked on Chesil,,

My mate had 8,,, not a mile from you,,,

But nothing over 3 pound, so you didn't miss much...

There is an ART to fishing it.... For sure...

I like to think I know a bit about it, after luring it, 18 years lol.....

But I've barely scratched the surface,,

I've learnt something new on it,,, back end of LAST year,,

Which I've put into practice THIS year,,, and its deadly....

It's why I LOVE bass angling,,

ALWAY always, learning new methods,,,

Working things out,, its a thinking man's game for sure...

Bad luck,, but honestly,, give me rough windy wet days,,

Over calm, nice days,,, any day lol....

DORSET IS MASSIVE , area,, lots of little nooks, cranny s,

Out of EVERY wind going.,,,

But impossible, to explain properly how to get to,, and what state tide, etc,,

Plus the BITE,, in a lot of areas,, is like 45, mins, max per tide.........
Then its over......

All the blokes I know, that call it easy Dorset,,

Are blokes like bruvahaze,, Banksy,, etc,,

Blokes that have been PUT ON the fish at right times,,

SERIOUSLY , how well do people do,, that just turn up and

Have NO CLUE,, where to start......................

It's FAR. From easy,,, (unless doing bass nursury areas,, there ALL easy,,, estuaries etc,, that's where bass live,)

But open sea bass is a TOTALLY different skill imho.....

For starters, you have to find them, before you catch them.....

You don't have to find bass in a nursery,, if you have HALF. A brain....... 2 before low,, 1 hour in,, job done........

Or some over high...........

Hope you have a ticket in the Geraint guide,, be good to try and sort your Dorset blank out for you......

Great effort,,

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice report mate,,.
Sorry Dorset NOT AS EASY as it's made out...

Hate to say the evening you blanked on Chesil,,

My mate had 8,,, not a mile from you,,,

But nothing over 3 pound, so you didn't miss much...

There is an ART to fishing it.... For sure...

I like to think I know a bit about it, after luring it, 18 years lol.....

But I've barely scratched the surface,,

I've learnt something new on it,,, back end of LAST year,,

Which I've put into practice THIS year,,, and its deadly....

It's why I LOVE bass angling,,

ALWAY always, learning new methods,,,

Working things out,, its a thinking man's game for sure...

Bad luck,, but honestly,, give me rough windy wet days,,

Over calm, nice days,,, any day lol....

DORSET IS MASSIVE , area,, lots of little nooks, cranny s,

Out of EVERY wind going.,,,

But impossible, to explain properly how to get to,, and what state tide, etc,,

Plus the BITE,, in a lot of areas,, is like 45, mins, max per tide.........
Then its over......

All the blokes I know, that call it easy Dorset,,

Are blokes like bruvahaze,, Banksy,, etc,,

Blokes that have been PUT ON the fish at right times,,

SERIOUSLY , how well do people do,, that just turn up and

Have NO CLUE,, where to start......................

It's FAR. From easy,,, (unless doing bass nursury areas,, there ALL easy,,, estuaries etc,, that's where bass live,)

But open sea bass is a TOTALLY different skill imho.....

For starters, you have to find them, before you catch them.....

You don't have to find bass in a nursery,, if you have HALF. A brain....... 2 before low,, 1 hour in,, job done........

Or some over high...........

Hope you have a ticket in the Geraint guide,, be good to try and sort your Dorset blank out for you......

Great effort,,

Cheers

Mark
spot on pal! This game is all about learning. The thing that surprises me is that there are consistently 100 different ways to approach any given situation that can yield results...

No problem for me knowing somebody else got a few it’s all part of the fun. Good to know if I see those conditions again to walk a bit further!

I’ve put my tenner in, regardless of the result I’ll be looking into your services... we have some pebbles in Sussex and learning it a bit more could aid me here...

Thanks again for all the advice seriously top bloke.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Chesil is incredibly brutal, beyond words and unlike anything else I have endured - I kind of hate it, but love it there too. Padders skips along it like a walk in the park he’s a machine once he gets going, it not normal!

It feels like you are completely wasting your time but if you do as he says with the right lure and technique then bass do indeed hit your lures.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chesil is incredibly brutal, beyond words and unlike anything else I have endured - I kind of hate it, but love it there too. Padders skips along it like a walk in the park he’s a machine once he gets going, it not normal!

It feels like you are completely wasting your time but if you do as he says with the right lure and technique then bass do indeed hit your lures.
100% agree, on the walk back to the car I felt a bit dejected... but when I started driving and I found myself in a nice stable comfortable car I really couldn’t wait to get back... it’s a funny place.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Frustration and dejection are pretty common where Chesil is concerned but on the days you get it right it makes it all worthwhile!
Just wish I wasn't 2.5 hrs away so I could get my frustration /dejection fix more often. LOL.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Agreed...the amount of times I've driven from South London to Abbo and not caught a thing...even macky bashing with the kids and Mrs.....but when you do catch you CATCH!...but it doesn't matter...
...its a beautiful place..well, when the campers are not out in force...
Walk a while to get away from the busy spots and its one of the best places in the country ....for us grockles its just nice to be there...fish are a bonus!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Talking of coming back...decision has been made....tomorrow I'll be down for more frustration!
Seems to be a window of opportunity before the winds pick up again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts