World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now boys n' girls...question for you :

What do you do with the fish you catch? Back when I used to go trout fishing, I'd keep a couple, then go round the village and give them away.

But sea fish...different story. OH isn't keen on eating fresh fish, so I very rarely bring anything home...you can only want so many mackerel for bait. I prefer to return 99% of what I catch...a decent size sole maybe will come home with me, but apart from that, back they go.

So...how about you guys?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I only occasionally keep what I catch for the pot, but it needs to worthy enough in size before I keep it and I am quite picky on the fish I do like such as whiting but dammed if I catch any big enough as they make superb fishcakes! In my opinion if you don't keep it then the trawler people will so which is the lesser of two evils.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Now boys n' girls...question for you :

What do you do with the fish you catch? Back when I used to go trout fishing, I'd keep a couple, then go round the village and give them away.

But sea fish...different story. OH isn't keen on eating fresh fish, so I very rarely bring anything home...you can only want so many mackerel for bait. I prefer to return 99% of what I catch...a decent size sole maybe will come home with me, but apart from that, back they go.

So...how about you guys?
Sizeable, any fish i will keep, unless protected or banned. Some Mackerel certainly for fresh bait and i do cook some on the beach to eat, you cannot beat fresh Mackerel, or other fresh fish, for me that's what fishing is about, yes catch and release if plenty, catch and cook if hungry.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I take the odd fish or two. Not a big fan of fish so I find pollock is my favorite, but I will take the odd cod, whiting if big enough. Mackerel I take for bait until I've filled a small freezer compartment but it doesn't take many (think I only took 15 this year).

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I'll return slow maturing fish like rays and obviously the bass go back. Don't see the point in fishing for cod or whiting unless you're hoping for a fish supper. So really it's on a fish by fish basis.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I keep about a dozen mackerel for bait, give some cod to a mate who makes fish pies to take for lads he works with for their suppers and used to keep some whiting for an elderly guy who made fishcakes for the others on his pensioners block. Sadly he passed away. The rest I kiss, thank for the fight and enjoyment and return. I enjoy the sport, fresh air, meeting people, helping each other, and having a laugh. It takes me away from all the stress and sh#t called life.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I keep the occasional fish, whiting, skate, plaice, Cod (if I could catch one :(), would keep a bass if I get one at regulation size now but not all of them, just the odd one here an there, I love a bit of fresh fish but I also like watch them go back to grow bigger.
The kids loved the fresh whiting we caught last year, the woofed it down, literally only a couple hours from water to plate, home made chips and battered fish toes (coz fish don’t have fingers :Oo:) !!!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's great to hear that everyone returns a lot of their catch, much better than put n' take trout fisheries.

Lads...I'm proud of you. (now, if someone could show me how to catch a fish so as I can return it....)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I eat the fish.
If it's well over legal size then it's fair game.

Being a chef , I've always had a love of fish and cooking it.

I'm not overly keen on pellet fed pigs (trout) from fish farms .

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
If it's over the legal limit I'll take it as that's the reason I fish, the exceptions being tope and wrasse (tope because I'm not legally allowed to take them and in all honesty I probably wouldn't anyway but the choice would be nice and wrasse because they taste bloody awful) everything else is for the pot.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I personally only keep a small amount for bait, with the occasional fish for the table but other than myself no one in the house eats fish.

·
Banned
6,986 Posts
Not that a get out much but husband brings me home whiting, pout over the lb mark and cod mostly eaten fresh but do like freezer stocked up with fillets. he actually never eats fish that he brings home, he always returns bass mostly think I've had 5 in last 10 years

1 - 20 of 58 Posts