World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

has anyone fitted either a Eberspacher or Webasto diesel heaters to their boats? Pros/cons?

How easy are they to fit? Boat is Merry Fisher 645

Considering some kind of heater to make those colder days more enjoyable!

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
775 Posts
They are an excellent way to heat a boat compared to turning on the stove as unlike gas burning in the cabin, they output dry heat. However unless you know what you are doing they can be a pain in the arris to say the least. I only have experience of the air heaters. There are versions that do air, water or both.

Of the two, Webasto seem to have the better reputation for reliability, although my Eberspacher has been pretty good so I am only going by what I have read when researching how to install the Eberspacher for myself, and my friends' experiences!

One thing to note - there are lots of people on forums complaining about these heaters but most seem to be experiencing issues to do with installation and/or maintenance. They have to be installed to the manufacturers specifications for the length and size of pipes, fuel head pressure and controls. I also run my diesel heater on white spirit from time to time as this seems to keep the burner from getting sooted up and hard to start.

There is a lot of technical information available but you have to be able to read and understand it and then do the installation accordingly. A good heater, i.e. one that has not been abused or neglected will cost a fair amount. Spares are readily available but again are not cheap and you have to know what you need if you are going to do your own repairs and maintenance. New, they cost about as much as a central heating boiler! If you are not sure of your electrical and pipework skills then fitting may be something you should pay for to ensure it is going to work as intended.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Hi there

has anyone fitted either a Eberspacher or Webasto diesel heaters to their boats? Pros/cons?

How easy are they to fit? Boat is Merry Fisher 645

Considering some kind of heater to make those colder days more enjoyable!

thanks

Matt
A heater?!

Now who's got the gin palace!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I want one for mine and to be able to phone the boat to turn it on before I get there so warm as toast and no frosted windows. Dream on I suppose.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want one for mine and to be able to phone the boat to turn it on before I get there so warm as toast and no frosted windows. Dream on I suppose.
Not a dream...Eberspacher supply a controller that is operated via an APP on your phone...so you you can put an end to defrosting windows!

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
I think ron and terry on here have them or just replaced them try a pm

G

·
I think ron and terry on here have them or just replaced them try a pm
I don't have one. Have thought about it, but not been out on boat since October so would be a waste of money. I brought the boat home a couple of days ago to do sorting out, cleaning and maintenance ready for the spring.......if it ever arrives:(

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Have Eberspachers. And had them on all my boats. After the first one I would not be without it and consider it the best add on fitted.
What price warmth and comfort?

Installation.... Dead easy if you buy from new... As everything needed will be in box and everything labelled correctly.
Buy second hand and you are buying unknown potential issues, and likely precut wires, pipes etc.

I have fitted 3 second hand units and 4 new units.
Never again will I fit a second hand unit (My personal opinion).

Reliable, and cheap to run.
Once a year run paraffin through it. This performs a "maintenance" task and decokes it.

I run 2 vents, one to footwell and one to screen.

If you want any specific question answered etc then pm me.. Always happy to help.

Another plus point, it doesnt create loads of condensation. Its dry, controllable heat... Fantastic addition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Eberspacher D2 its cheap to run although i found it very expensive to buy and set up. I ended up buying the diagnostic display which I would say is a must as it gives you error codes which relates to faults so you know whats wrong. Otherwise when you get a problem you fighting a loosing battle. Touch wood I have had no issues yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Eber spacher d2 fitted last year great piece of kit was out on thurs frost outside 18 degrees in cabin with the door open sheer luxury buy one

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I have the Webasto, fitted it myself no problems and performs well. I bought it from Butler who will sell the auto version with a marine kit for £hundreds less than the same parts packaged as a marine kit. See my Harley 25 thread or build blog for details.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right guys......decided on the Propex heater based on ease of use and being petrol outboard no need to fit extra diesel tank.

Question...I don't have a gas locker.....do I need a seperate locker or would fitting the gas bottle in a cupboard suffice? Also...do I need a "drop out" vent? I'm aware that gas is heavier than air so where would I fit a low vent?

thanks

G

·
Right guys......decided on the Propex heater based on ease of use and being petrol outboard no need to fit extra diesel tank.

Question...I don't have a gas locker.....do I need a seperate locker or would fitting the gas bottle in a cupboard suffice? Also...do I need a "drop out" vent? I'm aware that gas is heavier than air so where would I fit a low vent?

thanks
Out of interest, what is the cost of the complete kit?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

The cupboard must only vent from its lowest point to overboard the boat. Otherwise you run the risk of filling your bilges with gas.
Or secure the gas bottle out in the open (on the roof ?).

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The cupboard must only vent from its lowest point to overboard the boat. Otherwise you run the risk of filling your bilges with gas.
Or secure the gas bottle out in the open (on the roof ?).
Thanks Dave

mmm.....maybe not as straight forward as I had hoped then?

Will need to take a look at the space available then and look at options

1 - 20 of 29 Posts