World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down my local crabbing spot today and picked up a few edibles(all legal size) and i was just wondering how i would go about preparing them for the freezer and also how i would put them on the hook later on.

Cheers,Tom

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went down my local crabbing spot today and picked up a few edibles(all legal size) and i was just wondering how i would go about preparing them for the freezer and also how i would put them on the hook later on.

Cheers,Tom
have to be honest i have never frozen crab so can`t help there but once you have peeled em down hook them right through the body run the the hook through twice then tie them on with bait elastic. You won`t be able to cast far but use a clip down with a bait shield or even better a dvice and good luck.:marinheir

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the advice mate:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
They need to be kept in a cat litter tray with airstones and a pump or they will not survive, i kept them in a bucket over night with just half an inch of water and seaweed and they were dead the next morning

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
too late mate, i've already peeled them and stuck them in the freezer lol

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
too late mate, i've already peeled them and stuck them in the freezer lol
I always peel them, de-lung them( cut out dead mans fingers), give them a quick rinse under cold tap water , dry them and wrap the individually in cling film whack em in freezer bags and freeze.

The bacteria in the lungs can still decay the crab while frozen, thats why you should de-lung them, the clorine in the tap water should kill any bacteria.:punk:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
have to be honest i have never frozen crab so can`t help there but once you have peeled em down hook them right through the body run the the hook through twice then tie them on with bait elastic. You won`t be able to cast far but use a clip down with a bait shield or even better a dvice and good luck.:marinheir
Not bad advice, although if the crabs are of legal size and going to be used whole, you'd have a job getting them behind an impact shield unless theyre well mashed up by the bait elastic.....which would kinda defeat the purpose of using them whole, lol

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Size of the bait matters

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
peel them wrap them i cling film and freeze
if you want to keep them alive they must be kept submurged as un like most other crab they breath out of water

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
peel them wrap them i cling film and freeze
if you want to keep them alive they must be kept submurged as un like most other crab they breath out of water
Huh? That doesnt make sense, bit of contradiction there :unsure:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Try imaging the word "cant" between they & breath.
Yeah, I got it Morf, just pointing it out to others who may not have known :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Yeah, I got it Morf, just pointing it out to others who may not have known :thumbs:
For all the numptys you mean?:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Theres certainly plenty of them on here, just take a look at the "Conservation and Angling Politics" forum, its full of them.:whistling:whistling:whistling:whistling

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
For all the numptys you mean?:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Theres certainly plenty of them on here, just take a look at the "Conservation and Angling Politics" forum, its full of them.:whistling:whistling:whistling:whistling
Sayin nowt :shutup: :lmao:

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Size of the bait matters
i what way?

i've caught 4lb bass on a size 4 with crab, fishing for flounder, and i've caught undersize schoolies on 6/0 pennels and monster baits, hounds the same, proably as often as i've caught what was intended on the baits!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts