World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my brother (happyspark) went to the straits tonight, started off on lug as the tide started coming in, didn't get anything. Once it started getting dark, we changed spot slightly and I changed to mackerel and my brother stayed with the lug. It was hard to detect bites, it just looked as if the current and crabs were taking the line (strong current there tonight). Anyway, I went to reel in and was snagged, I had to pull the line with my arm, it broke free and I started to reel in, it felt heavy so I thought I had a bunch of kelp or something, then I got snagged again, odd I thought. I broke free and kept reeling the weight in, anyway, it turned out to be an eel :mrgreen: Any idea what it is? Me and my bro thought possibly a freshwater eel, but there's no estuary nearby. So is it a (baby) conger? Jaw and teeth didn't seem particularly strong, but the bottom lip did stick out a little, seemed to be a light colour too for a conger?

We kept fishing after that, I went to check on the tide coming in to our left incase it cut us off. I told my brother we'd have to go in 5, he said "OK, just one more cast". Within minutes he had a bite! He reeled in a nice looking codling, caught on lug. Fish always bite when you have to go eh?

We both had a good night, I've never caught an eel before and he wanted to catch a cod and he got his target species. Fair play he kept to the lug whilst I resorted to mackerel hoping to get a dogfish to avoid the blank lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice report Pete, was an enjoyable night with a nice clear sky, no doubt will be returning soon armed with more lug for some bigger cod :D hopefully someone can identify the eel?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It`s a Silver eel bud.
Dorsal fin on a Conger would be starting above the pectoral fins and top jaw would be protruding slightly past the lower.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,623 Posts
Excellent guy's......

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Nice report there guys and a good session :clap:, keep up the good work :thumbs:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts