World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g,day fellas just wanted to no if you use Eel for bait as we do down in oz.
and any favourite recipes in how to cure the Eel.
thanks allan

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
thanks allan
Eels have for some reason become very scarce over here,and we can't fish for them or use them as bait. I think they used to use live eels and segments for bait, mainly for Bass and Tope which is a small shark, they were used for freshwater baits too mainly for Pike

A common sea bait here is the Sandeel, but its not a true eel. I guess your using those horrible little green eels that frequent the rock fishing spots, I never used them as bait when I was over, maybe next time.

The best thing to do with an eel is either smoke it of stew it, lots of recipes on google, some like a jellied eel , I hate it....

Where abouts are you from in Oz?

·
Registered
690 Posts
thanks allan
ive known them to be good for pike but you dont get them there do you? i fry my eel sections with onion and garlic and then add chopped tomatoes and seasoning and maybe a bayleaf or two and simmer for about 20 mins and serve them with mashed potatoes and fresh veg. fantastic!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we mainley use them for shark fishing something like a junior 2ft conger
we cut them into sections.i guess the same eel you blokes eat jellied over there.
the sharks we are after are something like a smoothhound or starry something like that we call them gummy shark here great eating.cheers allan

G

·
not in australia:secret:
I thought - afterwards - that I should have gone back and edited my post with the addition of "in the UK". But I rationalised my laziness by convincing myself that as the question seemed to be about the UK, the answer would be assumed to be. Serves me right!!

I don't know the process, but smoked eel is delicious.

·
Registered
936 Posts
im gonna try lamprey shortly. i understand it is very oily and bloody. gotta be worth a try. john

·
Registered
538 Posts
why do they have to be put back theres millions at barry docks?

G

·
why do they have to be put back theres millions at barry docks?
How many are going back with bleeding from the gills, i.e. dead?

Because the self appointed governing body A T took it upon themselves to recommend a ban on the anglers taking eel home for bait and eating, they claim to use the precausionary method, while not discussing it with their members nor the wider angling fraternity who they claim to rep and govern.

Thats after the E A had said that the take by the anglers was minor and of no consequence to the stock.

At the time the trust knew about was going to happen and kept it from the rsa due to the fact that it was hidden within a freshwater consultation. The rsa was not informed until they had decided to agree a ban with the E A. Egg on their faces as there are reports that there certainly are loads of positive eel reports, commercially they can still be taken.

Worse, at the time they used reports that 98% of the stock was depleted, one of the reports came from the upper thames, while the anglers seaward side are seeing many thousands of the critters. They appear to have gone in with all guns blazing, yet have acheived nothing but resentment.

Certainly not in the anglers best interests.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts