World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me ?
Obvious not by reading recent report both here and elsewhere.
But is the conger eel population on the increase?

I've caught more this year than I have for a good many years. I've had one or two at a time from almost every mark I've fished this year. I even had a couple on a trip down south on a clearwater shingle beach.
They seam to be popping up in other peoples catch reports as well.
I'm sure this will please some peoe but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I will however agree that they are marginally better to catch than dogfish but that only because they actually pull back and do grow a lot bigger.
What about the rest of you, have you found the same?

My only hope is that they developed a taste for the woof eggs ( I don't think even a large eel will take a whole adult woof )

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I agree to this. I have had more strap conger on the boat this year than before, quite a few boot lace conger too.

However, I have had less dogfish around Cardiff than before. Last session out we had 2 dogfish all night which is almost unheard of when fishing for rays off Sully bay!

When I was down in Swansea a few weeks ago it was dogfish central so maybe they got fed up with the congers and went west....

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
We need more skate for the doggies but Yh down south caught a lot more straps this yr sadly the Thames n Medway has no conger no more although I am planning doing my own reintroduction over the years in the Medway bring a couple back from down south each trip n let them free there

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't agree with that sorry gaz.
Trying to create a "false" population is going completely against the natural course of things.
I know it's a completely different issue but I've seen some horrendous Consequences when it's been tried in freshwater.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
There were plenty off conger in the Medway/Thames until the winter of 63 that killed a lot off the inshore population so they were native to the area and I agree with non native species but they were

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Agree with this post Keith.

I was only saying to one of the lads last week there seems to be loads of them about, same thing on the boat trips that i've been out on in the last few months as well... far more than previous years trips in my opinion.

Matt

·
Registered
23,116 Posts
Can't agree with that sorry gaz.
Trying to create a "false" population is going completely against the natural course of things.
I know it's a completely different issue but I've seen some horrendous Consequences when it's been tried in freshwater.
Like releasing parr back into rivers ?

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like releasing parr back into rivers ?
Exactly buddy. Look at the state of the rivers now. Stocks are at a devastatingly low level..
Stocking may create a run of fish but they do nothing for the natural stocks. Look what happens when the stocking stops.

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are successes but the failures outweigh in a lot of places
I fear some of the "successes" may too eventually fail.
If there are underlying problems. Stocking just masks them. When the stocking stops the problems are still there.

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
As Matt said to me the other day. Straps are the new dogfish.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Is it just me ?
Obvious not by reading recent report both here and elsewhere.
But is the conger eel population on the increase?

I've caught more this year than I have for a good many years. I've had one or two at a time from almost every mark I've fished this year. I even had a couple on a trip down south on a clearwater shingle beach.
They seam to be popping up in other peoples catch reports as well.
I'm sure this will please some peoe but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I will however agree that they are marginally better to catch than dogfish but that only because they actually pull back and do grow a lot bigger.
What about the rest of you, have you found the same?

My only hope is that they developed a taste for the woof eggs ( I don't think even a large eel will take a whole adult woof )

Hi m8 as you prob know they are one of my fav species .
Seems to have a sort of pattern.Good year then it may tail off the next year or not so many ,some years 15 /18 lb may best year after that struggle to hit 10/12s .
One year I had 12 or so over 20 with some reaching just under 30,year after that was awfull ....
love em,so powerfull

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Good comparison Jack ..
Eels and politicians are both slimy, annoying and useless..
eels just slimy,others all 3

·
Registered
270 Posts
Totally agree with you Notso, I fished a mark in porthcawl last week and over two days caught 10eels, previous to this I have not caught one there in 30 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts