World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi....was over at the boat again today, just to blow away a few cobwebs that had been clinging to me this week...tuesday my car kept conking out..ooh..!! and wednesday.. there was bad news from the hospital...
and to wrap things up the boat has new water in the bilge even thou it had not rained...

but im not put off as she out the water next week for a pressure wash and a look at..
today i continued my clearing out of her.. taking off the plastic edging strip on the cuddy roof edge and along the gunnels..it just made things look grubby and was falling off anyway..

i next started up the ob..but before i did i disconnected the corroded up terminal and recut new ends and clipped them on to my fully charged new battery from nemo..wow..!! it kicked over first turn with no hesitation...cool..!!

plugs are a little rusty to..

after a good look round...ive noticed a `bubble gum` like patch on the hull just above the water line when know ones on the boat..but was completely under the water when all the junk was on board... ( i will get a photo of it tomorrow..) maybe its taking water on through here..i must admit i did not get it completely bone dry at the weekend as the bilge pump dont sit dead flat on the hull..also i think it the water might be held up forad under the deck..

does anyone know how the underdeck is laid out..?

also can my lever control box be changed sides is it reversable..?

ive measured up the cables and will fit ok..as there is some slack it the ob well..

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
hi..cool...many thanks...i will look to move them next week...the lever is a little stiff but eased up a little with me twiddling the friction `knob`

i will look to oil this up...

thanks mate...andy
Open up the control box Andy & grease the intenal moving parts.
While she"s out of the water service the engine,new plugs, impeller & g/box oil, grease any grease nipples & put a smear on the steering tube. Check the fuel filter/s & renew if neccessary.
How much water are we talking about ?

headlight

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi..1/2 a bucket full....i have made a list of all the points raised in these threads for work to do..and i will add the greasesing up to now..big thanks..andy

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Open up the control box Andy & grease the intenal moving parts.
While she"s out of the water service the engine,new plugs, impeller & g/box oil, grease any grease nipples & put a smear on the steering tube. Check the fuel filter/s & renew if neccessary.
How much water are we talking about ?

headlight
see looks pretty clean under the hood..

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
see looks pretty clean under the hood..

& grease the linkages.
That water could have already been there & has now drained to the lowest point since you have taken all the crap off that was holding it back. Also it could have been in another part of the boat & now she is sitting at a different angle due to the weight you have removed it has now pooled in a different place. I doubt it is much to worry about. Thoroughly dry her & see what happens. Condensation will produce a little water anyway in these days of warm days & cold nights.
I think you got a bargain mate & think it will be a great boat once you have tidied her up a bit.

headlight

G

·
Hi Andy,

Stick you finger in the water and have a little taste ob the end of your tounge - if its salty then it's sea water!

Don't worry too much, it has probably drained from somewhere as you have disturbed (rightly) the whole balance and displacement with all the changes you have made already, you would be suprised where some "stored" water comes from.

It's looking great by the way, I do envy you actually having the time and oportunity to go through this, nothing I would like more than to mess and inprove a boat all day!

Good luck and keep the reoprts coming!

Steve

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the `bubble gum` patch...

i will continue to post up the trials and tribulations i encounter whilst attempting to put this boat to rights..it should make for some interesting discussion..and it might help a few members who are attempting a similar thing..

G

·
I'm NOT gonna be calling up a "Pink Pirate" on the vhf - no way not ever ...... LOL ..... I have the tatters of a reputation to consider ... :clap:
Maybe he could keep the Pink Pirate at Brighton:unsure: The name would be well in keeping with the reputation of the place:whistling:roll1:

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm NOT gonna be calling up a "Pink Pirate" on the vhf - no way not ever ...... LOL ..... I have the tatters of a reputation to consider ... :clap:
lol...im not sure people will take to much notice ray..ive just got to decide which shade of pink..i want...dark and moody..or light and lush..
and a bouncy helm seat and im away..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
10,574 Posts

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
BTW Andy forgot to mention that I spoke to my mate"s with the Kingfishers with the 75 & 90hp motors. They say that if you want some more performance (better top end but more importantly cruising with less revs so therefore using less fuel) fit Doelfins.
They say that they don"t produce any adverse handling problems with the hull & as the boats are a quite extended V hull with not a lot of lift at the rear the extra lift from the fins is quite noticeble ( they both have fins fitted & the one with the 75 used to have a 60 with fins on his boat).

headlight

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
BTW Andy forgot to mention that I spoke to my mate"s with the Kingfishers with the 75 & 90hp motors. They say that if you want some more performance (better top end but more importantly cruising with less revs so therefore using less fuel) fit Doelfins.
They say that they don"t produce any adverse handling problems with the hull & as the boats are a quite extended V hull with not a lot of lift at the rear the extra lift from the fins is quite noticeble ( they both have fins fitted & the one with the 75 used to have a 60 with fins on his boat).

headlight
If you want a set of fins I've got some you can have Andy, bl00dy orrible things! lol Took them off the Suzuki on my QS500 and she went much better. Half the problem is people not bothering to trim the motor properly.

Your Mariner looks pretty clean, same type as mine but I have the 90hp version.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
If you want a set of fins I've got some you can have Andy, bl00dy orrible things! lol Took them off the Suzuki on my QS500 and she went much better. Half the problem is people not bothering to trim the motor properly.

Your Mariner looks pretty clean, same type as mine but I have the 90hp version.
Fins work well on some hulls & not on others. I"m not surprised you weren"t happy with the results on a QS500 !

headlight

1 - 20 of 34 Posts