World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to extend the power cable for the VHF radio, what size cable should i be using. I have 6a 230v 0.275 mm cable will this be ok ?

Rohan

·
Registered
52 Posts
0.275 divided by 2 squared times pi makes 0.059 mm^2, normaly for a 230V AC 10A group (in your house) you use 1mm^2 solid/singel core cable. So I would use at least 1mm^2 multi core cable (it's more flexible, you van get i at your local carpartsshop). I used 1,5 mm^2 for my DC VHF, because DC produces more heat per watt then AC.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
As well as the conductivity, you've more chance of damaging the smaller "bellwire" cable. I'd go for 1mm or 1.5mm anyday.

·
Registered
96 Posts
just be care using automotive wire it will rot out pretty quick

·
Registered
701 Posts
Most Marine cable is coded by it's cross section of the copper, 0.5sqm will carry several amps and 600 volts, used on cruise ships for lighting, but if your worried 0.75 or 1 sqm is fine, the copper will be fine as long as it is covered and sealed, the insulation is not important, the cheap stuff is fitted to war ships in India and France, so don't worry, my engineers are currently adapting an Auitomotive wire for Zero Halogen jacket, so I can sell it to the Cruise ship builders, they don't care whats it's made of as long as it's Zero Hall, low smoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts