World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to wire up my boats electrics with a twin battery setup and selector switch...

just a few quick questions?

Is normal copper auto wire ok to use? or do i really have to fork out for the marine stuff?

I think it was said before to crimp the wire? is it ok to use the plastic terminal blocks or is crimping better?

cheers

andy

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Andy

Suggest you use multi-wire cable as it is less prone to internal breaks than solid wire.
Use crimps every time.

If you want to see a number of set ups check out my web site for ideas and cable sizes. See my signature for the link.

Dave
:)

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
I am about to wire up my boats electrics with a twin battery setup and selector switch...

just a few quick questions?

Is normal copper auto wire ok to use? or do i really have to fork out for the marine stuff?

I think it was said before to crimp the wire? is it ok to use the plastic terminal blocks or is crimping better?

cheers

andy
Auto wire is OK as long as you use the correct amperage for 12v. Marine wire is tinned to prevent corrosion but if you crimp the terminals and use a silicone grease in the crimp it will be OK. Don't use plastic terminal blocks if you can help it, the connections will corrode in the damp salty atmosphere as they are unprotected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts