World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my engine is back in and running, all is good. For those that don't know its a diahatsu diesel engine from a car running jet ski pumps :wacko:

I need to re-wire the lot as the cable have seen better days and have been submerged in water for some time so it's all coming out and going back in new.

The question I am asking, what size battery and main cable, positive and earth, do I need to power the engine, gps, radio, etc? Is there a way of figuring out the load without finding out specifics to the engine as these are hard to come by?

I'm thinking a leisure battery with a small back up, plus my jump start pack for good measure. The alternator will charge these as I go.

I would rather go one size over than risk having to do it all again? :crazy:

Cheers, Sam

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi sam,
Cable sizes depend on the lengths of the runs really. How close to the engine do you intend to fit the batteries? What sort of size (engine cc) is the engine? If you look at the starter cables fitted to a car, they are quite small, but on a frosty morning, by the time the heaters have run and youve cranked the engine for a while, its better to have cable a bit bigger than the theoretical best size.
In general, Id suggest 35mm csa for starter motors (for the pos and neg cable) and some 10/16mm csa for the alternator, although as stated, it depends on quite a few factors.
Where abouts in Devon are you? If you thought itd be helpful, I could pop round for a chat.
Regards Tony

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i have just run new cables, i used tinned throughout, off a guy on ebay.

I was told they last longer so took the advice.

They are more expensive but time will tell.

Paul

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
i have just run new cables, i used tinned throughout, off a guy on ebay.

I was told they last longer so took the advice.

They are more expensive but time will tell.

Paul
It's worth using tinned. I just had to rewire my nav lights (open rib, Bulgin Buccanner connectors) because one of the connectors had failed after an impact and filled with sea water.

The inside of the connector was corroded away to almost nothing,but only had to cut the cable back by 5mm.

Ref battery cable sizes, I don't bother checking what power they use, rather I'll buy the heaviest duty connector/terminals I can for the job, then match the wire sizes to it-or match the original wire size/diameter. It's overkill,but overkill on wiring thickness is always good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts