World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Elusive Bass

725 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bluemicky 
#1 ·
Hiya Peeps,
Just wondering if I am the only one struggling to catch Bass on the north cornish coast! Fished really hard with plug and bait and only managed 5 small fish all year? The sea conditions lately have been the sort that you expect a good fish any minute, my mate managed a 6lb fish the other night on bait but we both fished really hard for that.Seen several Ganets close to shore but they dont seem to be diving so I take it there finding the bait fish elusive to.Maybe this set of spring tides will improve things?

#3 ·
I have struggled on the North Coast until recently. There has been a marked improvement lately!:punk:

It seems during the early/middle part of the season the south coast was the place to be but now it has switched around with quite a few south coasters saying it has gone quite...

Have no problems with nets where I am!

Sprats are everywhere and are being driven onshore by predators at the mo. All the Bass i have seen have coughed them up upon landing and some still kicking!

#5 ·
Agreed 100%. This year's been typical. March-April, few but decent. May, better. June-July, mix of smaller and larger. August, nearly all wee-small. Only sizeable bass in August was when I decided my legs were tpp knackered for plugging, so I free-lined the front end of a mackerel. Boring (it was dark, so not even much to look at), but had a fair fish of about 6LB.

#6 ·
you say that you plug mainly?
id have thought that the last few weeks water clarity would have been poor...its been that way up here for sure.
bait is best mate when they cant see the plastic,plus it invairiably accounts for a better stamp of fish anyway,if you fish to the conditions im sure you will nail some soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.