World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking through e-bay, for a replacement for my 10yr old emergency strobe light, (I now have to click it off & on several times before it starts to flash), I was thinking of getting one of the S/F issue, by ACR Electronics, that has infra red capability for daylight use.
I was wondering how many people carry them? & has anybody got one of them to thank for a boat, cliff, beach rescue?
For less than £40 they seem to offer that "one more tool in the bag" that I am always looking for!
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have a floating emergency light on the boat, but it is not a strobe. I was told the emegency services prefer a steady light. I have never been told they prefer a strobe so I have gone with the fixed type. No idea why there is a preference unless it is something to do with the waves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some countries allow strobe lights at the masthead, I think USA was one.

These lights are far more visible at sea than the standard tri-colour - the other advantage they consume less battery power. The disadvantage is you cannot work out which way the vessel is facing/travelling. I think that is why they are not permitted in UK. Also the light could possibly be confused with a bouyage nav light.

But in an emergency; when you just want to be seen, so the emergency services can locate you; they really are very good.

Many of the McMurdo lights were strobe and also emergency lifejacket lights.

Cheers - Jack

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have one Skip,

But I must admit, I never take it fishing with me ???? dunno why, as I take it with me when I am away Deer stalking, and it's a handy bit of my emergency kit.

will carry it in me fishing bag from now on.....nice 1 m8 :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts