World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my thread a couple of weeks ago about engine box insulation I decided to look further at the problem, as I was sure the engine wasn't that noisy previously.
What I found was a broken engine bed bracket which I can't access without removing the engine so thats the boat in the yard for a while now :wallbash:

Anyway, rather than patch up the old beds (approx 4" square wood suspended on steel brackets either end onto the frames/deck joist crossbeams) I think I will renew the beds entirely as well as incorporating flexible engine mounts & a flexible shaft coupling to further deaden the noise from the old Yanmar 2GM diesel.

I was think of using heavy angle or channel iron as the beds with heavy angle used as the joist hangers on the cross beams either end, all welded together heavily.

Be interested to know what anyone thinks of this idea or are there any different methods I should consider. I could just replace the broken bracket but the existing beds are slightly too narrow anyway as the boat had a single cylinder Sabb engine originally.

Sorry for the long winded post, difficult to explain in few words.

Cheers, Martin

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
you can do it that way as long as whatever youre fixing it to is strong enough to take the stresses of a running engine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts