World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAriner 60hp 2 str bigfoot - occasionally just dies away from about 2000rpm usually when steaming out of harbour. Requires a restart, but will probably do it again, until I've given it a good run at 4000rpm. It's also not good and never has been at tickover, and will often cough out at inopportune moments.
Any suggestion what it might be?
Mike
PS - it's just been serviced, but these problems were there all through last season

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Ian Burret had a similar problem with the same engine I think.. it turned out to be a faulty voltage regulator. It didn't like ticking over or running at low revs and caused probs with blowing fuses.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
MAriner 60hp 2 str bigfoot - occasionally just dies away from about 2000rpm usually when steaming out of harbour. Requires a restart, but will probably do it again, until I've given it a good run at 4000rpm. It's also not good and never has been at tickover, and will often cough out at inopportune moments.
Any suggestion what it might be?
Mike
PS - it's just been serviced, but these problems were there all through last season
i have this engine and have had similar problems with dirt/water in the fuel tank.

i ditched the petrol in the tank in question and filled with fresh fuel and it's as sweet as a nut again

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I was going to say crud in the fuel, possibly semi blocked jets in the carb caused by crud from the fuel.

I would give the fuel system a good clean through.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to say crud in the fuel, possibly semi blocked jets in the carb caused by crud from the fuel.

I would give the fuel system a good clean through.
Thanks Chaps - I'm inclined to have a look at the voltage regulator (are they expensive and can they be changed with the boat on the water?), as the fuel in the tank is new and the system has a water filter built in which was changed about one hour ago.
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had to change the voltage regulator on my old Merc 115 2stk at it's mooring - no sweat - at least on the 115 - the regulator is postioned at the top - easy access, 2 of 8mm machine screw bolts and four wires into a connector - 5-10 mins.

The OEM merc voltage regulator is not as good as the generics ie Sierra - I paid $95 +$19 postage from the US.

You should be able to test it's output - the manual should give the voltage output at tickover revs - though you might need a 'scope to see any fluctuations in output.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am going to agree with ChrisP, IMO it's your slow running jets in the carb and dirty fuel residue in the bottom of the carbs bowl.
Electrical prob's are doubtfull as the HT side either works perfectly or not at all.

Afishionado

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya Afishionado,

I am going to agree with ChrisP, IMO it's your slow running jets in the carb and dirty fuel residue in the bottom of the carbs bowl.
Electrical prob's are doubtfull as the HT side either works perfectly or not at all.

Afishionado

I would normally have agreed with you and Chris but having seen it first hand on Ian's engine, I think it's worth checking. His engine ran fine once it was off tickover, but had a habit of cutting out when on tick over. Once he changed the regulator it ran perfect.. well that is until Monday when it dropped a bearing :(

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote...Once he changed the regulator it ran perfect.. well that is until Monday when it dropped a bearing

Bluddy Machines!! you can start by filing a tiny nick in the prop and by the time you've finished your screwing a new stator on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor guy I feel for him!

Afishionado

1 - 9 of 9 Posts