World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all iv`e had the boat out several times now ! the last couple of times has been a bitch to start her.
I have to pull the choke out till she fires then push the choke back in, which in turns she chonks out, i try again and again on the same procedure with the same outcome....:schmoll: BUT if i move the throttle forward a slight bit, the engine starts no problem...Only problem with this is when i`m coming into slipways or harbours and take it out of gear" she will run on idle for about a minute then chonk out....

By the way its a pull start ..and 2 stroke

Any help appreciated...

BD

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
seems to be the trend at the mo! would guess its dirty carbs, either a build up of crud collecting in the carbs and blocking the idle jets, fuel filter starving the carbs or cracks somewhere sucking air. crack the drain plug on the carbs and pump the primer bulb, colelct the first bit of fuel that comes out and have a look at it, if its off coulour, pinkish or brownsih, or has little bits n pieces in it, that could be the issue. pumping the bulb till it runs clear might fettle it, but a strip down and clean of the fuel system would be better still. 2 stroke or 4 stroke?? whats the plugs like??

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hello all iv`e had the boat out several times now ! the last couple of times has been a bitch to start her.
I have to pull the choke out till she fires then push the choke back in, which in turns she chonks out, i try again and again on the same procedure with the same outcome....:schmoll: BUT if i move the throttle forward a slight bit, the engine starts no problem...Only problem with this is when i`m coming into slipways or harbours and take it out of gear" she will run on idle for about a minute then chonk out....

By the way its a pull start ..

Any help appreciated...

BD

What is the engine in or outboard, 3 or 4 stroke or even Diesel?

Afishionado

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello ebgd its a 2 stroke yamaha, What should i be looking for in the plugs )( ie blackness)

Also it was only serviced 8 mths ago

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
its a 2 stroke yamaha,
2 stroke Yamaha WHAT?Yoghurt? Tyrannosaurus Rex? strimmer with a propeller? Year, model and horsepower will get you a lot more response than telling us it could be any pullstart 2 stroke Yamaha outboard since the 1950's...

(No offence intended but you can't expect the right advice without specific engine details. It's like walking into Halfords and asking for a manual for a red Ford)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
the johnson I had a few years back was fond of plugs, to look at you couldn't often see much wrong with them, occasionally a little darker than normal, but fresh plugs always cleared the problem.

The problem is more than likely somewhere in the fuel system. My last engine before the current mariner bigfoot was a yam 40 3pot 2stroke, and went pear shaped when I ran one tank down and switched to the spare, which was a metal tank and not used that often so was full of rust, condensation etc which worked their way intot he carbs so once warmed through, it would die on tick over. took the carbs off (well I didn't, the dealer did!) and cleaned them, ran as sweet as anything since. they saved the collected ming from the carbs to show me when I picked it up.

every engine I've ever owned (aprt from the trusty old seagull) when its gone wobbly has usually been down to problems in the fuel system somewhere

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have never know so many outboards as this year that have had water in the float bowls of their carbs causing grief. Don't know if it is down to the fuel being more hygroscopic or the weather we have had in the last 12 months, whatever it is caused by my first thing is to look for water in the fuel system when trying to tie down a fault this year.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I have never know so many outboards as this year that have had water in the float bowls of their carbs causing grief. Don't know if it is down to the fuel being more hygroscopic or the weather we have had in the last 12 months, whatever it is caused by my first thing is to look for water in the fuel system when trying to tie down a fault this year.
glad its not just me then, seems to have been a few on here, and there's been quite a few that I know up here (including me)

sometimes wonder wether the oil companies have been fiddling with the formulas of their petrol, cheaper to make but shorter shelf life or something

·
Registered
513 Posts
How about doing a compression check, arn't these two strokes prone to leaking in the crankcase between cylinders, if it's not dirt in the carbs, partially blocking the idle jets.
Rgds TB

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Nos4r2

Here is the info i found out on the side of the Outboard Engine....

Yamaha 25 DM ( 695 L 314023 )

Year ???????? i hav`nt got a clue,

So if anyone knows?? could they please let me know .

thanks

BD

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
somewhere stamped on the sreial number plate in the bottom left or right hand corner will be a single letter, A, B C D etc thats usually the indicator of the year. sometimes hard to spot as its stamped in black painted bit of the plate

Mind you I might have just dreamt all that and be talking out of my hint end, but pretty sure thats how yams do it

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
So, single carb, basic engine. On remotes or tiller?

From what's below it doesn't actually look like there's a problem apart from possibly the tickover being very slightly low. It's usual to need a bit of throttle from the idle lever as well as choke to start an engine from cold.
Am I reading the original post wrong?

By the way its a pull start ..and 2 stroke

Any help appreciated...

BD

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Problem sorted :clap3:

My m8 came round tonight ! started it up and adjusted the screw on the carb and its running fine now. :clap2:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Problem sorted :clap3:

My m8 came round tonight ! started it up and adjusted the screw on the carb and its running fine now. :clap2:
you'll find it'll run different, easier, out of the water than it does in the water, so you may need to tweak it again when you launch again - dunno if that helps lol

AL ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts