World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of swapping to a multiplier and was thinking of buying a second hand Slosh.

Are these reels suitable for a Multiplier virgin and initially would you load it with braid or mono?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
845 Posts
A Penn 525 mag or a sl20sh are good reels. I started with a 525. One drawback the slosh has it's sits slightly higher on the rod so if you have small hands it my be a stretch. Had my slosh mag converted this totally changed the reel even my 14 year old who never used a multi before got on with it straight away. Use 15 to 20lb mono on the reels. Probably looking at about £50 - £65 for the slosh and £60 - £70 for the Penn on the second hand market.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Daiwa 7ht is a good starter reel too and like the green elite you can make it faster and faster as you get better. All depends on the sort of fishing marks near you really. If it's roughish ground with plenty of snags forget about the 7ht and the green elite (both brilliant reels) and think more slosh or penn like Bill says. Retro magging daiwa reels is brilliant :)

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Yep Slosh is fine for a beginner, as mentioned above get a mag kit for the reel will transform it, although they're pretty good as standard (i love mine :) )

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise. I've used FS's loaded with braid fro the last couple of years. With a multi, are you better off sticking to mono until you get used to the reel or would you just go straight onto braid. As a Mx virgin I really wouldn't fancy a god awful tangle with braid so would I be better off sticking to the mono?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I've used FS's loaded with braid fro the last couple of years. With a multi, are you better off sticking to mono until you get used to the reel or would you just go straight onto braid. As a Mx virgin I really wouldn't fancy a god awful tangle with braid so would I be better off sticking to the mono?
If you're new to using a multiplier reel it's better to use mono first so you can get used to casting with it. You may get a few birdies with it when you start off and it's a lot cheaper getting birdies with mono than it is with braid.

·
Registered
21,921 Posts
Nerus 6000 by masterline.....lbought one out of morbid fascination 3 years ago for £37.......good for100 yards with bait and after regular use is still as new....before anyone says the the usual crap I also have 6500s, 7hts, sloshes and things that most of the people on here have never heard of. So if you want a reel to start with get one......there is the option of with or without level wind, I would recommend without. Don't bugger about with the blocks just use it as it comes out of the box.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of swapping to a multiplier and was thinking of buying a second hand Slosh.

Are these reels suitable for a Multiplier virgin and initially would you load it with braid or mono?

Thanks in advance.
Stick to a penn 525 mag extra . Its the easy one to adjust as its just the magnets on the slidy at the side and one single side tension or end tension control knut . Put the magnets on full at first and use thicker line . Also and probably most important at first , only fill the spool to 2\3 of its capacity . The reason for this being that when the lead starts to slow down in the air and the spool is still spinning like hell , you need the spool to have to work harder to avoid a birds nest . In other words you want the spool to have to rotate say 5 times to throw off a yard of mono rather than only having to rotate once . A fully loaded spool at the end of the cast is what creates a lot of overuns .
It should be quite possible to set up a penn 525 mag extra in such a way with end tension knut , magnets and spool volume to be able to cast and put the rod down without any fear of overuns .

:secret::blink::fishing:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You have to be careful with braid and multi reels and casting because it's so thin. As well as being a nightmare to unpick, multipliers with the right line thickness avoid birdnests because as the distance increases the cast slows the and the line level drops....in turn this means each rev of the spool throws off less line which matches the fact that the lead is slowing and taking less line.
If you use thin line on a big spool this balance is out and the spool will chuck out more line than the cast takes so you get a birdnest.
I don't use braid on multis myself (apart from piking, not for really smacking it) but if you use braid on a SLOSH either use very heavy braid which is about the same diameter as 20lb mono (like 80lb braid) or part fill the spool like suggested.

Personally, if learning I'd stick to mono....a £20 birdnest is depressing. I'd also practice casting before fishing, always easier to learn on an empty field or beach than rocks etc. with a clock ticking.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought a battered Slosh 20 of Fleabay...£26 with postage..30 minutes cleaning and greasing and it runs like a well errr...oiled machine..It is my first multiplier, fitted with the 2 red blocks as that all that came with it...FANTASTIC..get the 20 size tho as the slosh 30 is quite abit bigger...you will need biggish hands to hold it for the cast.

I can only speak for these so others have more knowledge...2 birds nests for me...one when i got the line wrapped around my thumb guard and another messing about trying to out distance a veteran multi caster...he won i failed.

Used it in the dark with no problems also.

I love mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts