World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv just brought some skateboard grip only £2,99 for a huge sheet ,, im going to put a bit on each end of the rodbutt and bottom of the tip so i can grip it when pulling apart , if youved used it whot width did you cut the grip , the sheet is 36inches long by 9inches , its self adesive , all advice greatly apprecated , its going on my synchro's xl's

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
rather than putting what is pretty much 'self adhesive sand paper' on your rod, you'd do better to rub down the spigot properly so that it comes apart easier!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rather than putting what is pretty much 'self adhesive sand paper' on your rod, you'd do better to rub down the spigot properly so that it comes apart easier!
hello hue how are you ,, sorry but i'll not rub down them on my zippys lol , it only happends when my hands are wet and cold all spigots get a little stiff now and then when wet

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I would not use it either! think again Mike...what happens when you slide your precious rods into the bag at the end of the day and the sandpaper at the spigot end of the tip rubs all dow the butt?

use shrink tube the same as all the best builders

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
As an alternative get your mates to help you pull them apart - or, put some marigold gloves on to help grip it. Putting sandpaper on a rod could hurt your hands if you scuffed up against it on a cold day.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Get it stuck on its a fishing rod not the crown jewles i cut a strip about a inch wide and 8 inch long on each section no more worrys get the two joints to seperate when your hands are cold & wet tightlines Alain

·
Registered
726 Posts
You could always get a car inner tube, cut it into 6" squares, if you cant get a grip with that and pull apart the joint, you won't have much chance separating them anyway. Got my inner tube for free from a tyre replacement depot being thrown out as it was punctured.

G

·
i used century shrink on mine
or like mike said inner tube
wouldnt take no sandpaper to any spigot your taking many yrs off it

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
I'm well thanks dude, you??

just my opinion... for what it's worth....

rods do not come off the mandrels at the factory and slide neatly together without some kind of human input... , some wet n dry!!! I recently went to conoflex with my Foo Fighter to have just that done, it was way too tight on hot damp evenings, three mins and it's now a prefect fit with many years left in it!

what happens when sand comes off the sanpaper into your bag (which it will catch against if it's material) and scratches yyour £300 rod? or you carry the two sections of rod next to each other and the sandpaper marks up your £300 rod?

just a few things to consider.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eny one whonts to buy some skateboard grip ok , iv listend to you all and i'll opt for shrinktube thanks all for advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts