World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sea fret and onshore winds have been plaguing the coasts of the North Sea lately so it was time to head West for some better weather and the Mull of Galloway for some sport with the hard fighting Pollack that live on this rocky coastline.

Accompanied by my long time angling buddy Darren, we arrived at 12pm, briefly stocking up with various bits and bobs at the little shop in Ardwell village before descending the huge cliffs of the Mull. :blink:

We quickly caught enough mackeral for bait and cut these in to long thin slivers that were fished 15ft under a float. The mackeral were easy to catch and our supply for the day were caught in 15 minutes! :fishing:

Our floats were soon being pulled under by hungry Pollack in the 2 to 3lb bracket.

We had a quick spell of action when we were both hit by big Pollack in the space of a few minutes, these fish were impossible to control and were lost to the kelp forest below. Some you win, some you lose! :cc_surren

Even the smaller fish will put a bend in your rod and do there best to escape.

We made it back up the cliffs just as the sun was going down on a nice days fishing and set off on a trouble free drive back to a still cool and misty Tyneside.

Some great sport was had and we ended the day with sunburn and around 40 Pollack between us, largest 3lb. All Pollack returned to fight another day of course. :sun:

An enjoyable day out. J.V.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Did you give us a wave in the boat?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
great report and pics JV.

ye like yer pollack fishing , you guys have quadrupled my total pollack catch off the year .....in that single session :D.

well done lads on yer catch :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What part of the mull were you fishing as I think I gave you a wave also. We were in the wee seahog hunter. There were quite a few guys wearing blue tshirts all over mind you lol!!

We were under the foghorn, I did see you and waved :fishing: Did you catch much?

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
some great catches there
is it easy acsess to get under the fog horn or is it mountain goat typo stuff

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
good session jarrow

·
Registered
818 Posts
We were under the foghorn, I did see you and waved :fishing: Did you catch much?

haha we saw you!!

me and my mate both turned to eachother and went "FURFUXSAKE HOW DID THEY GET DOWN THERE?!?!?!" it looks as though there was no path down watsoever, just rock ledges and shear drops lol!!

We saw all the burds working so we went over and started hitting the mackerel straight away, they were right under the surface, you could actually see them taking the feathers about 6-7ft down lol.

we got bull huss, tub & grey gurnard, codling, dab, launce, doggies and mackeral. Was a good day out and the weather was brilliant, couldnt ask for more

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Well done sounds like you had a great day, i hope to get to the mull in the next couple of days, i could do with a tub or a huss, trying to hit the species list heavy duty this year :)

Was it rough ground you were on?

nice report, :victory:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well done sounds like you had a great day, i hope to get to the mull in the next couple of days, i could do with a tub or a huss, trying to hit the species list heavy duty this year :)

Was it rough ground you were on?

nice report, :victory:
Not at all mate. The Tub Gurnard came on a set of mackeral feathers caught in mid water which is a bit strange, about 200 yards right off the head of the mull.

The bull huss came about half mile off the mull, right inline with the head, coming towards drummore. Fishfinder showed a very flat bottom, sand presumeably as I got a dab from the same mark......

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
The tub in mid water that is odd :) , i got a little grey with feathers on Tuesday but that was on the bottom, thats waht i love about sea fishing, you just never know :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
nothing odd about gurnards in mid water ,they often chase sandeels so will be caught wherever they are.
Very very funny you should say that as I got a launce on the exact same trace as the Tub. Both of them on hockayes although the launce was fouled hooked in the back but the Tub was hooked in the mouth so as you say the Tub was probably chasing the launce and decided to take the hockaye and the launce got tangled up.

Also later in the day we had 5 small grey gurnards take all 5 of the shrimp rigs in the one drop, full house :1a: there were millions of them!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts