World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents
Just wandering how many if any have given lure fishing around the big estuaries a real go in the hours of darkness. I'm asking to try and get a few alternatives when the open coast cuts up a bit nasty with a big depression. I've tried in the wee hours in the dark without any succsess only to find dawn switching the fish on.

Reactions: z42

·
Registered
192 Posts
I do all my lure fishing in the day, think i just like fishing using sight to give me as much chance as possible. Will give it a go this month though and see what happens.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do all my lure fishing in the day, think i just like fishing using sight to give me as much chance as possible. Will give it a go this month though and see what happens.
Hi Adam
I have caught a few fish in the dark on the open coast, it's estuaries that are giving me problems in the dark. I thought maybe I'm missing something

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi Gents
Just wandering how many if any have given lure fishing around the big estuaries a real go in the hours of darkness. I'm asking to try and get a few alternatives when the open coast cuts up a bit nasty with a big depression. I've tried in the wee hours in the dark without any succsess only to find dawn switching the fish on.
I've done quite a lot of lure fishing in the dark in estuaries and open sea. I tend to only use soft plastics and let them drift rather than reel in at pace. May need to reel in to keep tension if low flow or lack of tidal pressure. I've been shocked that a dark green/ black lure not being reeled in but just swinging in the tide in the dark, catches more than a noisy flashy lure swimming against the flow. Noticed black/ brown/ dark green scores when bright moon and white/ silver when cloud no moon.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done quite a lot of lure fishing in the dark in estuaries and open sea. I tend to only use soft plastics and let them drift rather than reel in at pace. May need to reel in to keep tension if low flow or lack of tidal pressure. I've been shocked that a dark green/ black lure not being reeled in but just swinging in the tide in the dark, catches more than a noisy flashy lure swimming against the flow. Noticed black/ brown/ dark green scores when bright moon and white/ silver when cloud no moon.
Thanks Andy that's a great response to my question. Probably swimming more like a distressed fish if fished the way you described, do you find the size of the lure has any bearing on it.

Reactions: Andy F

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
That is is the same way I fish my local, a dead drift. Its deadly and bass cant resist. I too am shocked that they can see these lures with no noise coming from them.

I started to that because I was thinking how a fly angler approaches a mark , fishing uptide and then let it swing on the bottom. Watch a video, which made sense, was a bait fish will never be swimming against or up the tide, and quickest escape is always down tide. So changed my attack and it works.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks Andy that's a great response to my question. Probably swimming more like a distressed fish if fished the way you described, do you find the size of the lure has any bearing on it.
I have found if the level is low and if in daylight, dusk I stick on smaller say 4.5 Dolive stick in Wakasagi type colour, or natural type Sluggo 4.5 inch. In flooded river I'll use larger 6 inch dolive or senko with heavier twistlock cultiva or if really strong flow weighted hook. As mukiwa mentions dead drifting. Wind can be a pain but with heavier SP the wind won't disturb the drift too much. Exactly like nymphing fly fishing in river.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That is is the same way I fish my local, a dead drift. Its deadly and bass cant resist. I too am shocked that they can see these lures with no noise coming from them.

I started to that because I was thinking how a fly angler approaches a mark , fishing uptide and then let it swing on the bottom. Watch a video, which made sense, was a bait fish will never be swimming against or up the tide, and quickest escape is always down tide. So changed my attack and it works.
Yes I found it works but it's hard until you've caught as it seems ridiculous using dark lure in muddy rivers in the dark. I thought I had it worked out as i outfished a mate one day on a river in the dark using a white dolive stick having 3 and dropping 3. He changed to white caught soon after.
Another day I thought similar conditions but he had 4 I had none, i was using a small white sluggo he had on a large cattletounge in brown in the dark!! Unbelievable when the rod was being ripped from his arms. I had nothing to copy that! I hadn't noticed the sky was brighter even though dark.
I think this technique could be used more in the BC once identify where flow and bass are.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Yes I found it works but it's hard until you've caught as it seems ridiculous using dark lure in muddy rivers in the dark. I thought I had it worked out as i outfished a mate one day on a river in the dark using a white dolive stick having 3 and dropping 3. He changed to white caught soon after.
Another day I thought similar conditions but he had 4 I had none, i was using a small white sluggo he had on a large cattletounge in brown in the dark!! Unbelievable when the rod was being ripped from his arms. I had nothing to copy that! I hadn't noticed the sky was brighter even though dark.
I think this technique could be used more in the BC once identify where flow and bass are.
Quite agree with you. It's not a tatic that I deploy unless there is a tide and have located the fish, or a structure that fish might be using in an ambush.

It's amazing how it can change, what works on one day doesn't so well the next. I used the same tactic on the fly rod, this weekend, we normally use big white lures, as long as it white. Mate on lures joined me, he had two fish, but I struggled on white flys, changed to dark, red and black with a hint of blue flash, I had 5 fish straight away, but what amazed me was that they could find a dark fly, in a tide , with no vibration, all on a dead drift. No tweaking or bumping the fly. Just mind blowing

·
Registered
870 Posts
Quite agree with you. It's not a tatic that I deploy unless there is a tide and have located the fish, or a structure that fish might be using in an ambush.

It's amazing how it can change, what works on one day doesn't so well the next. I used the same tactic on the fly rod, this weekend, we normally use big white lures, as long as it white. Mate on lures joined me, he had two fish, but I struggled on white flys, changed to dark, red and black with a hint of blue flash, I had 5 fish straight away, but what amazed me was that they could find a dark fly, in a tide , with no vibration, all on a dead drift. No tweaking or bumping the fly. Just mind blowing
I mention to other lure fishers when on the beach and they look at us like I'm mad. If it's not a flying C or fast retrieving a paddle tail vibrating in muddy water with vibrations they don't believe it. As you say not always working, but with correct conditions with flow, thinking like a lazy bass for holding spots to ambush. Muddy water or darkness doesn't matter. It's worked for me in flooded estuary but not so good with loads of rubbish in the water.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I mention to other lure fishers when on the beach and they look at us like I'm mad. If it's not a flying C or fast retrieving a paddle tail vibrating in muddy water with vibrations they don't believe it. As you say not always working, but with correct conditions with flow, thinking like a lazy bass for holding spots to ambush. Muddy water or darkness doesn't matter. It's worked for me in flooded estuary but not so good with loads of rubbish in the water.
Lol strange that, when you mention it to people. Some how I find that if there is rubbish in the water, I manage to get a fish , but it's always when the water is just starting run. After that yeah its hopeless and wait till it clears a bite, or chuck on something heavier to get to the bottom, even if it's for short time before the line get clogged up

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Lol strange that, when you mention it to people. Some how I find that if there is rubbish in the water, I manage to get a fish , but it's always when the water is just starting run. After that yeah its hopeless and wait till it clears a bite, or chuck on something heavier to get to the bottom, even if it's for short time before the line get clogged up
Yes I know of an estuary bass mark just like that and the period in which the bass run through can vary, but the fishing is always curtailed by the weed. Sometimes you can catch for an hour, others it's minutes. This is legering with crab baits but it's always been the same there, so a few very good sessions among many less so!

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies especially AndyF and Mukiwa very thought provoking and interesting a few things there to try and it wont cost me as I have a few of the lures you mentioned lol

Reactions: Andy F and Mukiwa

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Hi guys this is a really good post especially from Andy F and mukiwa I have yet to catch a bass on a lure in the dark , a mark I fish I catch loads of bass in the dark on bait in the winter , and in the summer I struggle to catch them on a lure , I do catch quite a few in day light but not as soon as it’s dark , I think a jelly floated with the tide sounds good

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Hi guys this is a really good post especially from Andy F and mukiwa I have yet to catch a bass on a lure in the dark , a mark I fish I catch loads of bass in the dark on bait in the winter , and in the summer I struggle to catch them on a lure , I do catch quite a few in day light but not as soon as it’s dark , I think a jelly floated with the tide sounds good
That is very interesting John. In the Southampton water, I work on that during winter, the bass in some Mark's I am sure are there to get the slightly warmer mud or sand , from being exposed on a settle , sunny low tide, with high pressure. Soon as a cell comes they disappear to a deeper mark. The warmed mud isn't enough to bring the worms ect to the surface.

Then the same Mark's I find are barren in the summer, and can only think that the warm water ect has brought the worms to the surface , and the crabs peeling in other Mark's. I think it call could be food in another place and warmth. But also fish over heat like us. Do we stand in the sun or on a hot day go out doors! Air con or ice drink is good or cool swimming pool.

I definitely change tactic, either deep, but are the fish in feeding mode there, when some of the food is shallow, so I find large rivers, cool water coming in to the sea, cooling the surrounding water, the bass will be there, plus in the summer there is less dissolved oxygen in the water , the rivers might also help with that one.

I could be talking a heap of old ......... but something I noticed and have been following in the last year.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
That is very interesting John. In the Southampton water, I work on that during winter, the bass in some Mark's I am sure are there to get the slightly warmer mud or sand , from being exposed on a settle , sunny low tide, with high pressure. Soon as a cell comes they disappear to a deeper mark. The warmed mud isn't enough to bring the worms ect to the surface.

Then the same Mark's I find are barren in the summer, and can only think that the warm water ect has brought the worms to the surface , and the crabs peeling in other Mark's. I think it call could be food in another place and warmth. But also fish over heat like us. Do we stand in the sun or on a hot day go out doors! Air con or ice drink is good or cool swimming pool.

I definitely change tactic, either deep, but are the fish in feeding mode there, when some of the food is shallow, so I find large rivers, cool water coming in to the sea, cooling the surrounding water, the bass will be there, plus in the summer there is less dissolved oxygen in the water , the rivers might also help with that one.

I could be talking a heap of old ......... but something I noticed and have been following in the last year.
At least in Plymouth we got the rough open coast and plenty of varied estuary to use , so when it’s rough we can lure fish the coast, and fish the estuary when it’s to rough for the coast

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks John. I picked up the technique after failing to catch elsewhere and going fishing with a mate who was a keen flyfisher. Also information, from I believe it's Keith White who drift hard needlefish lure. About 4 years ago I was lure fishing in March on a river in daylight , just happy to be out not expecting anything due to time of year. I decided to drift a SP and not retrieve, into an eddy. I had a great take, and a fish smashed me up as my drag hadn't been set properly and was too tight. Gutted. Sadly that mark is no more as the venue has changed so much with bad weather, floods, but I went back numerous times and caught using the same technique in the dark including the bass in the photo i believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts