World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to fish an estuary soon and was wondering what baits would be best and would lob worms be good to use because the water is a mix of fresh and salt ?

·
13,170 Posts
Flounder would probably take lob, but I understand that saltwater "washes out" the bait very quickly. I'd stick to sea baits.

·
Banned
2,360 Posts
I'm planning to fish an estuary soon and was wondering what baits would be best and would lob worms be good to use because the water is a mix of fresh and salt ?
when i use to fish tilbury many many years ago :wheelchai i used them for the flounders and eels i would take afew and see how you get on as gulp says sea baits maddies lug ragworm

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I fish a few "estuary type" places up here and just stick to traditional sea baits.
Peeler crab, lug, rag, also mackerel strips work well up here for Flounders.
Depends how far up river you are I guess?
Normally they are cracking places to dig for lug and rag anyway.
Try to locate some of the deeper channels that the fish will use as highways to travel with the tide.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks for your help and the place that I'm fishing I will try to found the main channel etc and it's a Rocky bottom , can be snagging and muddy , what rigs would you say is best to fish with ?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The estuaries up my way are big mudflats with weed - not too many real snaggy bits, but the best rig I have found is a 2 hook flapper or clipped for a bit of extra distance.
Size 1 hooks, snoods about 18 - 24 inches long.
I normally use a grip lead as I have found that an anchored bait just seems to work better for me, but you could try a rolling lead to locate gullies etc, but that might also snag you up more often.
Maybe post on your local area forum for more specific info.
Good luck mate, Leo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts