World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not sure about Cornwall, but in Devon there's usually bass and flounder lurking in estuaries this time of year. Chuck out a scratching rig with Size 4 hooks with some ragworm and see if anything bites.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Should I do it or is it pointless? What would even be around if so? What bait and hook size?
Depends on the type of estuary. Shallow ones affected by heavy rain or frost are likely to be a struggle, but deeper ones such as the Tamar and the Fal will have both resident fish such as school bass, conger and thornbacks, plus visitors such as whiting and cod. It's getting a bit late for flounder, which are about to go out to sea to spawn, but big mullet sometimes hang around all winter.
Fishing the Tamar this winter for cod I have had 3 codling, a small coalie, several bass to 5lb, plenty of whiting, a couple of doggies and lots of conger. Baits have included squid, mackerel, crab and live whiting. Wrap up warm and stick at it! PH

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Like Plaicehunter has said, deep estuaries like Fal and Helford hold a good head of fish, this time of year the Helford produces the bigger T B Rays, don't know why ! but if you are after a double now's the time. Doubles from both estuaries are few and far between and an achievement if you can get one !

·
Registered
883 Posts
fish the fal last night at turnaware bar. had a few small whiting. we kept hearing loud splashes and weird noises. after a couple of hours saw what was making the noise.it was a small pod of dolphins chasing what I guess was mackerel

·
Registered
23,233 Posts
fish the fal last night at turnaware bar. had a few small whiting. we kept hearing loud splashes and weird noises. after a couple of hours saw what was making the noise.it was a small pod of dolphins chasing what I guess was mackerel
There was alot of big macky up there today and some nice whiting, they were chockfull of pilchards.

Reactions: Ollytobblez

·
Registered
17 Posts
fal has fish year round. (makies, herring, whiting, doggies, bass, pollock, gilts) water is so deep 100ft+ and if you can go out in a boat or kayak then you will get loads of fish using a fish finder. check out the cornish kayak who also points this out too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBOrE59jaCUh0XS-pMTHgA as others have pointed out needs to be deep waters within cornwall or devon that has creeks rather than large rivers unless the sea opening is huge like fal.

·
Registered
23,233 Posts
fal has fish year round. (makies, herring, whiting, doggies, bass, pollock, gilts) water is so deep 100ft+ and if you can go out in a boat or kayak then you will get loads of fish using a fish finder. check out the cornish kayak who also points this out too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFBOrE59jaCUh0XS-pMTHgA as others have pointed out needs to be deep waters within cornwall or devon that has creeks rather than large rivers unless the sea opening is huge like fal.
Cornish kayaks a good fella!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Gilts in the winter? PH

·
Registered
23,233 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gilts in the winter? PH
As I pointed out summer fish are year round in specific spots now which include gilts and makies. Just need to know where to fish. Local knowledge is key.

I know many who have already caught them but not in abundance like in summer time.

Winter fishing many factors come to play like location, depth and volume of water. Tide times vs dusk/dawn. River flow (big deep river after rain effect fishing) and types of bait.

·
Registered
23,233 Posts
Hah yeah he's a great guy and like watching his vids when I can't go fishing :(
He works where i live and i am often working nearby to him so we often stop for a coffee and a chat, he is very patient and good at explaining rigs etc to me.We give him a spider crab occasionally and this summer theres a lobster or crawfish heading his way for telling us where to fish when we took the boats up the river.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am coming down from Norfolk in April for a bit of fishing and some train rides. Staying just outside Dartmouth, I was thinking of fishing at Brixham and Dartmouth. Any tips would be much appreciated guys and gals. Oh I am bringing the wife too so it must be easy access. Cheers tufdy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
try brixham breakwall and then go over to berry head. A nice little walk for both of you and spot of fishing. Should get something then. dart is ok but could be fast flowing water and i wouldnt say easy to get to like the castle but nice spot to use spinner by the creek if you can or just at the mouth (first creek called waterhead creek) might even get some mullet. Another spot would be hopes nose in torque. You can see devon lerfer who has some nice vids on all the spots he fishes at brixham and surrounding areas: https://www.youtube.com/user/WashfordRichy gives you an idea of whats around and where to fish.

If the water, tide and pressure is right then you should catch in that general area. Wrass, pollock, bass and makies should be year round in the deep areas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts