World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished loch etive last night as a club match 6pm - 2am. 7 members fished the next bay past the church.
weather was abit of everything rain, wind, hail, sleet, snow.
only 3 fish caught, all spurs- biggest was 4 and a half pounds

only reason i could find for fishing being so poor was the amount of fresh water than was running. anyone else found this to be a problem?
PS

·
Registered
775 Posts
Paul,

atleast you were out! my rods seem to be gathering too much dust over the past month or so..

I'd say the only consistant thing about loch etive is that it fishes very poorly after any prolonged perios of rain.

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thought the rain was the only thing to blame - i knew it was going to be poor after seeing the flooded fields and the height of the water at loch awe.
weather was hellish tho - blowing a gale and the rain in ur face for 8hrs!
discovered a couple of ''secret'' baits tho.....
anyone had any success on strange baits up there?
PS

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
thought the rain was the only thing to blame - i knew it was going to be poor after seeing the flooded fields and the height of the water at loch awe.
weather was hellish tho - blowing a gale and the rain in ur face for 8hrs!
discovered a couple of ''secret'' baits tho.....
anyone had any success on strange baits up there?
PS
sure have !
think your right about the fresh water paul , got to the point that i dont bother if there has been too much rain falling !!:giveup: :giveup:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
fished loch etive last night as a club match 6pm - 2am. 7 members fished the next bay past the church.
weather was abit of everything rain, wind, hail, sleet, snow.
only 3 fish caught, all spurs- biggest was 4 and a half pounds

only reason i could find for fishing being so poor was the amount of fresh water than was running. anyone else found this to be a problem?
PS
twas a wild night indeed dont think i will be up there again in a hurry the last three times ive been here the wind reeked havock

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
i have always found trout fillets to be good at etive :clap2:

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
never known fresh water to matter at etive maybe the really shallow marks but not all of them there are some really top places on the southern shoreline deeper than the flat rock even and they never fail to produce for me,no matter how bad the weather there is always something thats on the feed you just have to find what the fish want and hope you have got enough of it always take a good selection of bait and dont forget a pulley rig isnt always the best ,i think it was someone on the forum said of etive ,,,sometimes its a desert and sometimes its a gold mine you just have to keep trying tight lines lads:secret:

·
Registered
775 Posts
"sometimes a desert sometimes a gold mine" gotta agree with that. However there are two things that definately kill the fishing on loch etive. one is too much fresh water running into the loch. the other is less predictable. These are views shared by most anglers who travel up there, and the local rods who wont even bother after any prolonged periods of rain.

THat said there are a couple of other marks in the area that will fish after prolonged rain, strictly speaking they're not in loch etive tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts