World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself, Davy Holt, and Peterthefisherman, all had a wee trip to Loch Etive, yesterday,. It was to try out my engine, after a winter layup, and see how the 100 hour service,and water pump rebuild went…well to be honest…it didn’t, and was very hard to start, and when it did, was very lumpy. Not a good sign at all, but over the day it started to clear….not completely,but enough to get fishing…Its going back in, when it comes home from LA next week….I am not a happy chappy, specially after almost £300 spent on the thing !!!!
We left mine at 5am, to get there early, as the forecast was very good, and we thought it would be busy, on arrival at 7am, we saw it was very quiet, and the loch was ours till about 11am, when a couple of other boats arrived.
So, to the fishing…It was absolutely pandemonium at the first mark we fished at….a fish a drop, we relifted only mibbes 4 times, with no fish on the hook…7 species, for at least 150 fish…..they were Cod, (1lb) Whiting( all good ones to 1.¼ lbs), Thorny to 5lb 2oz, Spurry to 5lb, Poor Cod, LSD to approx 3lbs, and to me, A Grey Gurnard of 15oz…it went off at about 12 ish, so we moved, and after all that fishing, we were VERY bored after not getting a fish in 60 secs in Airds Bay, so went for a run to try and clear the engine a bit.
Then headed off to LA, to have a go up there, and leave the boat for next weekend, as by that time, it was running not too badly. Had a wee shot today, and Davy took Cachalot out to have a very friendly diver (George) look at her underside Davy had his cabin boy, Nick join him for the day. I had Jamie ( a local lad) and Peter with me, went up to The Green Isles, and drifted round them, nothing at all, then went over the Sound to fish one wreck…nothing but a small Pollock of about 1lb…

But a great weekend, with some of the best fishing I can remember….

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
nice one norrie , crackin session there :clap3: :clap3: an the weather was magic aswell , hope you can better it next week at LA :notworthy

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Good report Norrie, Nice to hear Etive was fishing well this weekend.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Yup it was some day.. the fishing was good and so was the craic :D

We managed five small Pollack to day to 4lb on Jellies, but it was hard going finding fish.. they seem to be still in deeper water spawning just now :(

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Sounds like a brilliant day, with some great fish. :fish:

I hope you get the engine sorted Norrie. :boat:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nice session at Etive boys, glad to hear you are leaving the LA fish til next weekend lol.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
775 Posts
Excellent session on Etive chaps. well done.

Got to say the standard of fishing and the recent dryspell can't be a coincidence!

great weather to be catching all day!

One of the local 'hot rods' fished most of the shore marks on saturday - complete blank! funny old place!

Not long now til the "west coast ferry port" meet!!

Cant Wait!

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Got to say the standard of fishing and the recent dryspell can't be a coincidence!
nah it was down to a sheer over abundance of superior angling skills and the use of a top secret bait we were testing :notworthy :notworthy

One of the local 'hot rods' fished most of the shore marks on saturday - complete blank! funny old place!
yup I was talking to him for a while when we came back in. :)

Not long now til the "west coast ferry port" meet!!

Cant Wait!
Same here, we'll be heading up at some point on Friday :boat: :boat: :boat:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am in the process of stripping and cleaning all my reels in anticipation for the LA sport this weekend. Hope they can withstand all the punishment I'm expecting lol.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
sounds like an excellent day out there guys, lets hope this good weather keeps up and maybe ill get some shore fishing done this weekend.

al

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
You could say they were freeze dried :D

They would probably have still been in the big freezer if it had not packed in a couple of weeks ago :(

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Good luck with this weekends meet guys....... only wish I could join you, but these new 12 hour shifts im on have scuppered that :yucky:

all the best neway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have a great weekend guys... wish I could make it over but it looks like I'm working... oh the joys of being freelance... :blink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts