World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can hire rod/reels with the Taynuilt hire boats?

I've never really done boat fishing, only shore. What sort of rigs would be required?

Do the boats have rod holders? Life jackets supplied?

Looking for a days boat fishing with the kids, nothing too serious.

Are there many mackies for the kids to target whilst i'm bait fishing?

Are these boats available at short notice ie a couple of days or booked well in advance?

Thanks in advance,
Colin

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
life jackets are supplied. no rod holders though. is that not why your taking the kids. theres mackerel where the boats are moored just west of the pier. moor up to the grey bhoy. dont know about the rod hire but any rod will catch you mackerel with feathers. i use light ones although i broke one yesterday on a snag.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Anyone know if you can hire rod/reels with the Taynuilt hire boats?

I've never really done boat fishing, only shore. What sort of rigs would be required?

Do the boats have rod holders? Life jackets supplied?

Looking for a days boat fishing with the kids, nothing too serious.

Are there many mackies for the kids to target whilst i'm bait fishing?

Thanks in advance,
Colin
Don't think Dougie hires tackle. He does provide life jackets, but you can get very good ones off Ebay for less than £20, safer really because then you know they fit, get one for yourself, if anything goes wrong you can concentrate on staying together. The boats do not have rod holders. There are plenty of mackies for the kids. I took mine out on Dougies yellow boat which I think is best for the kids and they used spinning rods and caught enough to keep them happy. Try airds bay not far from the slip, tie up to one of the buoys. If you are targeting spurs you will need wire snoods and lumni beads, fresh mackerel is fine for bait 1 up 1 down rig will do. Baited hokkais are good also but if you hook a spur it might bite through your hook length. You will get Pollock 50 yards out from the slip too. Have a good day.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
also an idea to take a gaff with you to help you moor up to a bouy.not all the boats have boat hooks.

below pic is of 3 men on one of dougs boats,this is with out tackle gear seat boxes and rods.
one missing taking photo:)

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Boat Hire is from 65 a day for an Orkney longliner (white, blue and red boats) and 80 a day for the Mayland (Yellow Boat), all boats have life jackets etc and the price includes fuel. I do have a limted number of rods and reals for hire. The general hire times are from 08.15 to 16.45 for day hires and 1700 to 0800 for night hires but other times available by request.

If you need any more info. give me a call on:

Tel 01866 822023
Mob 07850 676617

Cheers, Dougie

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
If you do a search for some "Etive boat reports", have a look into the threads with a paperclip beside them - this shows a pic attachment is included. That's your best bet I'd say?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts