World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

What does Etive fish like during mid to back end of September?

Are the spurs still around? What other species can you expect, are conger on the cards?

Final question, The Dreaded Midge, do you still get loads at that time of year or are they backing off a bit? Had a couple of experiences of em and they love the taste of me, don't fancy a 5 hour drive to get eaten alive as I'd probably only last about 10 mins if they are about!

Cheers for the info......

Gaz

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
though i better add a plea for help before my thread is resigned to page 2 and lost forever....

Haway lads..... any info.... pm or open forum.

Cheers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi Guys and Gals,

What does Etive fish like during mid to back end of September?

Are the spurs still around? What other species can you expect, are conger on the cards?

Final question, The Dreaded Midge, do you still get loads at that time of year or are they backing off a bit? Had a couple of experiences of em and they love the taste of me, don't fancy a 5 hour drive to get eaten alive as I'd probably only last about 10 mins if they are about!

Cheers for the info......

Gaz
IMHO I think between sep and end of october are the best times to fish etive for the bigger spurs , you can still expect to be attacked by the midgies but,unless there is a breeze , and etive is like anywhere else it can be great one day & 5hit the next but it can be worth while if you get a big un. As for conger they are a by-product the largest I have ever witnessed is 32lb caught on a size 1/0 hook while using a small piece of whiting as bait ( pulled up from approx 95 metres deep & from the shore too.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
conger wise i would pm big al im sure he got a 50lb ish one last year

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
come to think of it i think it was boat.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
i know several fellas who fish from boats who can chuck a bait a fair distance

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
i find thet etive fishes best during the winter months , maybe it just because the midges are away , i have had most of my larger spurdogs and thornback rays later in the year , i have seen conger coming from the quarry , the large one i had came from the boat but we were fishing within casting distance of the shore..

isac1960.. 99% of my fishing is done from the shore , i find that the boat is an excellent platform to reach those areas that are innaccessable by foot.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info lads, might push it back further in the year when the midges are away! It's way too far to go to get eaten alive.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Soft Yorkshiremen! They aint that bad, all the time!:bleh:

Later can be better for the fish not just the lack of midges.

Let us know when you do come up, and I'm sure you'll catch a big'un

Jim:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
soft.... aye that'll be right where the little midgey barstewards are concerned!

I aint a Yorkshireman either (no disrespect to Yorkshire folk) but my roots hail from a bit further North.

I divn't understand how anyone could tolerate a midge attack for more than 10 minutes! If they aint eating ya they're crawling and thats equally as irritating as you know they're only looking for the next place to chomp on ya!

Had 2 days of midge attack when I was up in May, ended up looking like someone had been stubbing **** out on my face :(

I reckon the FBI should trade "waterboarding" for a dark cell with a few thousand midge in it, that'd make anyone talk to escape em.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Zagman, I've heard it's only the females that suck you dry (interesting),and shore fishing is for anglers that can't or won't pay boat fees?????????????????????????:boat::fish:

G

·
Can say skin so soft from avon worked for me, dont have any midgie bite marks for last night at Etive ;o)

I got it cheap off ebay

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Skin so Soft works for me!

Jim

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
just done a full weeks fishin at different locations an the midge were pretty bad at all locations but a good midge hood an yer sorted ...oh an lots of bottles of the tranny juice (skin so soft ) ask jimmy c for some he is the original tra.... oops sorry letting too many secrets out :spiteful::spiteful::roll1::whistling

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
just done a full weeks fishin at different locations an the midge were pretty bad at all locations but a good midge hood an yer sorted ...oh an lots of bottles of the tranny juice (skin so soft ) ask jimmy c for some he is the original tra.... oops sorry letting too many secrets out :spiteful::spiteful::roll1::whistling
:shutup::secret::rtfm:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts