World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously cheesed off this morning!
Been waiting on the weather to get to a good state. Very little wind fcast. Boat loaded, all the gear checked over.
Hitched up the boat and went to lift the motor for towing (an Evinrude 50 2 stroke. 92 vintage) and it would not come up. Jammed solid. Fishing day ruined.

Lever is in the correct position to raise it. Motor has no tilt trim other than manual
Tried a jack as it was beyond two of us to move it more than a few inches. All it did was lift the whole boat on the trailer.
There is oil coming out of the seal at the top of the hydaulic unit. The allen screws to let out oil on the unit are solid despite regular wd40 applications. One is goosed now. The other bent the allen key and would not budge.
I have looked after this motor. Oiled and greased everything and it is washed after being out. So I am ticked off!

Any ideas guys what has gone wrong?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
You have a fuse in that circuit, is it OK.

Check the earths are all good, battery and engine.

When you press the up down buttons there are 2 relays in the fuse box that should buzz or click, one for up one for down

Unplug the harness that goes to the motor onthe Trim Tilt unit. There should be 3 wires, one is a common and the others are up and down, You will need the manual to identify them. Use a heavy cable to get a good supply from the battery and try to raise lover the engine using these direct to the motor harness.

Should help identify which bit of the system is goosed

·
Registered
842 Posts
Chris

You have a fuse in that circuit, is it OK.

Check the earths are all good, battery and engine.

When you press the up down buttons there are 2 relays in the fuse box that should buzz or click, one for up one for down

Unplug the harness that goes to the motor onthe Trim Tilt unit. There should be 3 wires, one is a common and the others are up and down, You will need the manual to identify them. Use a heavy cable to get a good supply from the battery and try to raise lover the engine using these direct to the motor harness.

Should help identify which bit of the system is goosed
Today 12:15

I think Rajabatis has'nt got power trim and tilt I think manual tilt only.

Lever is in the correct position to raise it. Motor has no tilt trim other than manual

Cheers Ian

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply but I did say it was manual no motorised tilt/trim.

This is something wrong with the hydraulic unit itself.

I managed to get it up with a bottle jack between the transom and the motor.
Oil spewed out everywhere from the oil seal on the hydraulic unit. Motor drops on the hydraulics again OK but very hard to get back up?

As it turned out today would have been a wasted journey anyway. I phoned the harbourmaster to say we could not make it and he said the fog was thick and going out was not the best idea. :yucky:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
My bad, sorry, should have gone to Specsavers

In that case check the lever is moving the valve on the cylinder. Is it a cable or lever, if it is cable they tend to sieze up solid

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad, sorry, should have gone to Specsavers

In that case check the lever is moving the valve on the cylinder. Is it a cable or lever, if it is cable they tend to sieze up solid
Hi It's a cable pulled/pushed by a lever to work a valve?. The cable seems ok I have kept that well lubed. It seems to be moving okay.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I know the sort you have now. The cylinder is not something you can service. It is a replace job if it is goosed. At the assist cylinder end of the cable can you see the top of a valve or does the cable dissapear into the cylinder?

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the sort you have now. The cylinder is not something you can service. It is a replace job if it is goosed. At the assist cylinder end of the cable can you see the top of a valve or does the cable dissapear into the cylinder?
The cable goes to a small nut then that goes in to a larger nut that screws into the base of the bottom alloy casting that the hydraulics pivot on. That uses the same bolt that is used to adjust the motor angle setting option.
The top end has the chrome rod going to a pivot point. I can't get the motor up high enough to see that part well though.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
OK, can you get the tip of a screwdriver into the valve that the cable connects to at the cylinder end? If so try to lever the valve up. The engine should be free to move up and down if you can lift the valve up. If that does the trick your cable is goosed. If not the cylinder needs replacing (hope not as your plastic is about to take a big hit)

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, can you get the tip of a screwdriver into the valve that the cable connects to at the cylinder end? If so try to lever the valve up. The engine should be free to move up and down if you can lift the valve up. If that does the trick your cable is goosed. If not the cylinder needs replacing (hope not as your plastic is about to take a big hit)
Not without getting the motor all the way up to get at that big nut that holds the cable in. I'll give it another go at the weekend. And yes I had a feeling that this was going to be costly!
Thanks for your advice.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David...If you need any parts, let me know..as we have two of these engines, getting broken.......hopefully the parts you need will be ok on them !! :):)
Hi Norrie, Bummer of a day. Ready to get over to Dunbar and coudn't get the motor up to tow!
Any way thanks for the offer. You are one of natures gentemen. I plan to get a good look at it at the weekend and see what's what. I will get in touch if I need anything.
You will get a PM shortly.

The forum is great. People you have never met offer advice for free. One guy even pmd me that he worked in a hydraulics business and could sort me out a unit at probably way below an Evinrude dealer price!

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Hi Norrie, Bummer of a day. Ready to get over to Dunbar and coudn't get the motor up to tow!
Any way thanks for the offer. You are one of natures gentemen. I plan to get a good look at it at the weekend and see what's what. I will get in touch if I need anything.
You will get a PM shortly.

The forum is great. People you have never met offer advice for free. One guy even pmd me that he worked in a hydraulics business and could sort me out a unit at probably way below an Evinrude dealer price!
Thats fishermen breed apart == PAT

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think its the same sort of engine i used to have its called trim assist if my memory is correct.
does it have the lever on the tiller arm for raising the engine. i found the hole thing a bad design idea.
on the underside of the tiler arm as you turn the lever it pulls on the cable via a black plastic clip on thing that is a press fit onto the lever and then threaded onto the cable yes.( they are about £9 if you breark one). check to see if as you turn the lever it does pull on the cable, if the plastic thing has snapped the lever will turn , but not pull on the cable. second the plastic thing is used for ajusting the stretch in the cable.
turning the engine to the right and at the other end were the cable goes into the engine does it have a large plastic nut. then under thatthe cable slots into a type of piston using some thing to try and lift the piston up i.e. long nose pliers , a large screw driver if this works . not sure what damage you may have done forcing the engine up hopefully all it may have done is just force the oil out of the seals.
i had trouble with mine once when coming a shore and could not get the engine up the sea was so rough it damaged the lower unit.
hopefully not to damage was done and you get it sorted
hope it was some help to you
jon

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think its the same sort of engine i used to have its called trim assist if my memory is correct.
does it have the lever on the tiller arm for raising the engine. i found the hole thing a bad design idea.
on the underside of the tiler arm as you turn the lever it pulls on the cable via a black plastic clip on thing that is a press fit onto the lever and then threaded onto the cable yes.( they are about £9 if you breark one). check to see if as you turn the lever it does pull on the cable, if the plastic thing has snapped the lever will turn , but not pull on the cable. second the plastic thing is used for ajusting the stretch in the cable.
turning the engine to the right and at the other end were the cable goes into the engine does it have a large plastic nut. then under thatthe cable slots into a type of piston using some thing to try and lift the piston up i.e. long nose pliers , a large screw driver if this works . not sure what damage you may have done forcing the engine up hopefully all it may have done is just force the oil out of the seals.
i had trouble with mine once when coming a shore and could not get the engine up the sea was so rough it damaged the lower unit.
hopefully not to damage was done and you get it sorted
hope it was some help to you
jon
Yes exactly the same. But the lever is operating the cable okay, I did say that. ChrisP pointed out in another post the cable may be jammed. But as I said it seems to be working.
The piston seems to be damaged and certainly the top seal has gone.
Now that a lot of oil has been lost I can get the motor up half way. It won't lock in place though and descends slowly when that lever is up or down.

I didn't realise though that big nut is plastic. Are you sure on that one?
I'll get a look at it properly at the weekend.

No damage done.
Thanks for the response.
David.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes exactly the same. But the lever is operating the cable okay, I did say that. ChrisP pointed out in another post the cable may be jammed. But as I said it seems to be working.
The piston seems to be damaged and certainly the top seal has gone.
Now that a lot of oil has been lost I can get the motor up half way. It won't lock in place though and descends slowly when that lever is up or down.

I didn't realise though that big nut is plastic. Are you sure on that one?
I'll get a look at it properly at the weekend.

No damage done.
Thanks for the response.
David.
yes it was plastic on the one i had cracked it trying to undo it , it is hard to get at i had to grind a spanner down to get it to fit ontop of the plastic nut.
as you say the cable is moving, but is it moving enough to lift the plunger in the piston, hence the ajustment i was saying that can be taken up on the plastic thing under the tiller arm. do hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
These units are a nightmare. The cable length is critical but they are prone to stretching. I got round it on a friends boat by lifting the top of the valve with a pair of grips and a screw driver. the valve can be bodged into the release position using a washer with a slot cut out of it. The slot and hole in the washer will fit around the slot around the plunger and the washer will be big enough to sit on the outside of the valve casting. It is a pig to fit because the spring on the valve is so strong, but it will enable you to go to sea. You will only be able to use reverse at slow speeds because the engine will want to lift if you gun the throttle. My friend ended up buying 3 cables (£50 each) before he found one that worked.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These units are a nightmare. The cable length is critical but they are prone to stretching. I got round it on a friends boat by lifting the top of the valve with a pair of grips and a screw driver. the valve can be bodged into the release position using a washer with a slot cut out of it. The slot and hole in the washer will fit around the slot around the plunger and the washer will be big enough to sit on the outside of the valve casting. It is a pig to fit because the spring on the valve is so strong, but it will enable you to go to sea. You will only be able to use reverse at slow speeds because the engine will want to lift if you gun the throttle. My friend ended up buying 3 cables (£50 each) before he found one that worked.
Hi Got a look at that cable operated valve. That is working fine. It is some other part that is causing the hydraulic unit to jam. I have let oil out of it and can get it up enough to tow now and use, but it will have the reverse problem you mention. It will not lift far though before jamming again. But as you say careful on the throttle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts