World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys please excuse my ignorance here but i want to be sure what i buy b4 i go and spend any money.
is there a difference between spinning and plugging ie do you need a different style rod for each?
basically i want something that will allow me to throw out dexter wedges and plugs, am assuming a decent spinning rod is what i need and will be targeting bass etc.
the reason i ask is the more i read the more i get unsure ie shakespear do

Salt Spinning rod
Salt Bass & Flattie

do i get a spinning rod or a bass rod ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It all depends on which way you're fishing the plug or lure. If you're just casting the plugs out and winding back in then the traditional spinning rods(medium to through action) that you get in this country designed for trout and salmon should be OK -but you have to bear in mind that spinning requires a lot of recasting so a lighter shorter rod will be more fun in the long run. If you're going to be working baits with jerks twitches snaps rips etc. you might want to go for something more suited for this purpose; Most tend to go for a fast action rod(initially only the tip flexes), but remember fast action rods are less forgiving when playing fish, depending on how much money you spend -at the price point you're thinking of were talking about the bottom end -I can only think of one supposedly fast action rod at ~£50 available in this country -the prologic savage gear bushwhacker -this rod will be OK for simply casting out and retrieving too, but it will behave differently under the strain of a lunging fish and timing will be more critical when casting compared to a medium or through action rod. -sorry its all a bit complex -if you want even more complex -just ask!

·
Registered
648 Posts
A spinning rod is made to chuck out dexters, plugs (dont forget poppers) & the redgills, etc.
A bass rod is (imho) is for fishing with rigs or livebaiting etc.
A spinning rod (9-10ft) that can cast between 15-60 grms (or more) would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A spinning rod is made to chuck out dexters, plugs (dont forget poppers) & the redgills, etc.
A bass rod is (imho) is for fishing with rigs or livebaiting etc.
A spinning rod (9-10ft) that can cast between 15-60 grms (or more) would be a good starting point.

thanks for that

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
forget the salts theyre too heavy -they're just shorter and longer versions of the same thing. I'd go for an 8 or 9ft spinning rod because sooner or later youre going to want to start using poppers etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
anyone able to recommend a reasonable priced rod £35-£40 ish to use
I got the shakespere salt spin rod, even tho i know its not ideal, its more than good enough for what i do, which is spinning with Tobys and wedges. Casting is no problem with it, it easily outcasts my mates shorter rods. however I'm not sure i'd recomend it for plugging, U dnt tend to have much control over the action of the lure. I'm looking my self for a rod more suitable for working the plug. The salt spin does seem more than good enough though if u just want to have some fun with a spinner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The reason you tend to need a differnt type of rod for plugging and spinning is because plugs tend to be alot lighter and less aerodynamic than spinners, like wedges. Therefor a plugging rod is designed to cast smaller weights, for example, max. 1oz. whereas a Spinning rod is designed to cast heavier weights; 1 - 3 oz. Dnt take this as fact, this is just my assumption.

Pilch

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i may invest in a cheap penn firetip graphite spin rod 10ft 10-60g, many thanks for all the advice

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think i may invest in a cheap penn firetip graphite spin rod 10ft 10-60g, many thanks for all the advice
Good luck with it, let us know how u get on!

pilch.

·
Registered
PB BASS 75CM
7,906 Posts
HI GUYS
im looking at abu conolon speedlock 11ft rated 25-50 grms
ha any 1 got any info on this rod wiil be using 4 plugs/spinners over rock ledges
tight-lines
ROCK-ROVER

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Rock Rover

Just as well you didn't come the other night, very windy and a waste of crab.

I think that rod looks a little heavy for UK Bass fishing. i know you are interested in surface plugs and sub surface lures, for example the Maria Chase BW is only 18.5gms. I would think one that could do 10-40 would be better.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,490 Posts
Sounds way too heavy and way too long.
Nock 3 foot off it and go for 5-40g,that way you will work lures better and enjoy more.
Nick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts