World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,just lookin for peoples thoughts on the expensive costs to go out on a boat sea fishing,as an average boat trip nowadays in the uk costs around 400 quid and could rise to much more,i feel us anglers are gettin rinsed,as i went to the IOM last month for tope out of peel it only cost 25 quid each and only 2 of us went out on the big charter boat for 8 hours,the service was great,i know that skippers get rinsed aswell thru certain licenses and fuel costs,but after all that,i still think were gettin rinsed

your thoughts please

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I make that £50 each? Sounds very reasonable to me if the skipper is half decent and puts you on fish. They can't be making much at £400 a day with all the overheads, just imagine how many days are lost to bad weather for instance.

Just my thoughts of course, I rarely go out on a charter as I have my own boat but interesting to consider that I used £70 worth of petrol today, so not a cheap way of doing it. :mellow::fish:

·
Registered
239 Posts
sit down and work out how much a boat costs to run,
Fuel
depreciation
servicing
mooring
advertising
etc
etc

Most charter skippers offer good value at £500.00 for the boat for the day for 8 anglers IMHO

£50.00 each for 8hrs entertainment .... £6.25 per hr and you feel that your being rinsed??

cheap day out as far as i can see

sherbert

G

·
hello all,just lookin for peoples thoughts on the expensive costs to go out on a boat sea fishing,as an average boat trip nowadays in the uk costs around 400 quid and could rise to much more,i feel us anglers are gettin rinsed,as i went to the IOM last month for tope out of peel it only cost 25 quid each and only 2 of us went out on the big charter boat for 8 hours,the service was great,i know that skippers get rinsed aswell thru certain licenses and fuel costs,but after all that,i still think were gettin rinsed

your thoughts please
You have obviously no idea of the costs involved for a charter skipper. You're IOM skipper will have lost money - big money - on your day out.
Skippers on here like Excel in the south of England, to SandTiger in the north of Scotland, will tell you none of them make a fortune.

Look at the prices charged for charters in the States - or closer to home on the continent, where €75 per head for a 4-hour trip for a dozen is not unusual.

We're lucky that the UK charges are so reasonable. Make the best of it - it won't last!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Isn't IOM a tax haven? Probably don't pay duty on fuel either so their running costs will be lower (this may be nonsense so apologies to IOM skippers if you do pat UK duty on fuel!)

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Charters in Weymouth are 40-50 for a trip,very cheap compared to owning your own boat,and they dont always have full bookings,most go out with minimum of 3,thats under £150,he has to take fuel for his boat,his car transport,so making hardly any profit,stop being so tight,if you cant afford it,dont go,simple.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
When I started boat fishing, 18 or so years ago, it would cost around 200 quid for the boat for a general days fishing in the bristol channel. Diesel(at the pumps) was then around 55p per litre. To book a trip now costs around 300 quid for the day and at the pumps diesel is 118p per litre??

They need to make a profit out of it aswell!!

You also pay for the skippers experience in a way?? It's o.k paying 25 quid to go out on a big charter boat all day, but if he just sits on the same mark all day while the angler isnt catching bugger all it aint really worth it!!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts

your thoughts please
£400 for the day, come down the south coast m8 as much as £700 for the boat for the day, and never under £500 even for inshore

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
When I started boat fishing, 18 or so years ago, it would cost around 200 quid for the boat for a general days fishing in the bristol channel. Diesel(on the pumps) was then around 55p per litre. To book a trip now costs around 300 quid for the day and at the pumps diesel is 118p per litre??

They need to make a profit out of it aswell!!

You also pay for the skippers experience in a way?? It's o.k paying 25 quid to go out on a big charter boat all day, but if he just sits on the same mark all day while the angler isnt catching bugger all it aint really worth it!!
ill think your find charter skippers dont pay £1.18 per ltr diesel m8

G

·
I dont see the problem with what most skippers are charging, in fact i reckon most work bloody hard for what little they charge, i guess there will be some exceptions to this but i really dont think they are making a fortune so only the better ones will survive, as already stated, just take a look at the costs these blokes have to run a charter it would make anyone think twice, bottom line is they are trying to earn a reasonable living and no one can blame them for that.
Regards, Rob.

·
Registered
555 Posts
People don't account for the days they can't go to work due to bad weather and earn nothing ,but they still have to make payments on the boat ,berthing maintenance insurance not to mention the mortgage and I suppose they have to eat too , Takes a brave man to take that on.

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
i go out with on seafire in the bc and it costs 260 for the 8hr but he aint gotta steam out 40 odd miles to reach the fish... still 500 quid for a charter aint bad money....how much will it cost to take the family on a day out? i took the missis and kids to the zoo and it cost me about 150 quid after food and fuel....still think you are getting "rinsed"? i find after bait and fuel a good shore session is as much as a charter anyway. these guys do a great job for not much profit.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ticket for a Premiership footy game is at least £50 quid

And you never catch any fish :g:

I think that about £500 for a boat for the day is good value for the punter and reasonable income for the skipper.

And thats a good balance for all of us isn't it?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
A few of the SE skippers I know say an average of 3 days a week getting out is good! Not booking problems cancellations because of winds! Moorings, maintenance, insurance, life raft fees, lifejacket fees, replacing hire rods and reels, saving for new boat - the cost are endless.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3 years ago a boat out of liverpool was 250,now it costs around 400,thats why im p!"£ed off with it,2 men go out in IOM and get charged 50 quid,u couldnt go out in mainland UK for that with 2 men,i know the skippers have it hard,of course theyre making a good profit out of us,but i think the charges have had a severe rise over the past 3 years

G

·
i know that skippers get rinsed aswell thru certain licenses and fuel costs,but after all that,i still think were gettin rinsed

your thoughts please
Given days lost to weather, fewer bookings in winter etc a BUSY skipper might budget on getting out on 100 trips per year (e.g last year nobody got to sea for around 5 weeks last November purely cos the wind didn't stop blowing, and the last week has been all but lost to the weather as a more recent example).

Overheads excluding fuel might be say £10,000 per annum (mooring, insurance, servicing etc). So, £100 per trip towards the overheads (100 trips x £100 = £10,000 for the overheads).

Then there is fuel, could be WELL north of £100 on a wrecking trip, but let's say a nice round £100. So, that leaves £200 for the skipper on a £400 trip.

So, £200 x 100 trips = £20,000 per annum EARNINGS for the skipper. Really raking it in isn't it ??

Charter skippers must be mad running a business and earning less than the average working wage (based on down south wages)?

Then, if an engine goes bang skipper writes a cheque for say £12,000 - whoopee - earned £8000 this year!!

I don't think you'll find many/any charter skippers who do it for the money these days - as a business it's a VERY poor ROI (return on investment). Just think of the cost of buying the boat in the first place!

We do it 'cos it's an enjoyable lifestyle choice, not because of the business returns.

With the costs involved in running a charter boat it's inevitable that prices will rise moving forward.

The real key is how does all that add up against the cost of owning your own boat as the only alternative to chartering if you want to boat fish?

I suggest the average cost per trip on your own boat is WAY more expensive than the average charter price per head (I've owned many private boats before becoming a charter skipper).

Just my 2p worth :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
where are you going out from then? :eek:

£400 for mid week wrecking from brighton marina on the grey viking, £360 for ground fishing, £320 winter codding. + £40 extra for weekends
poole and weymouth. plus ive been on 2 boats out of langestone that charge the same money for wrecking

dont get me wrong id rather be the paying customer for sure, i know there overheads are endless, and with our great weather (not) they can go a month without any income, i couldnt afford to do this for one month let alone any longer.

ive just bought a boat, and its like an endless pit of money that goes into it. and its proberly going to cost me more for a days fishing than going on a charter.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts