World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general discussion on downtide rods - most of the top manufacturers flagship downtide rods have a rrp of £150 +.

ok I understand decent reel fittings and rings and materials are the main cost - but is there any real necessity to invest in an expensive blank just for plonking a lead and rig over the side of a boat :g:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I think it`s all about tip action. I dont do much deep water boat fishing but a good rod is a must.
I borrow rods (when i do go) that dont look like they would handle a 4oz weight but can handle 2 pound weights with a huge conger on no worries.
Dont forget a good blank will last for ever.
These days a good downtider can also double up as an uptider as well, they are that good.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Just a general discussion on downtide rods - most of the top manufacturers flagship downtide rods have a rrp of £150 +.

ok I understand decent reel fittings and rings and materials are the main cost - but is there any real necessity to invest in an expensive blank just for plonking a lead and rig over the side of a boat :g:
Apart from one rod I was given as a present, all my rods cost well less than £100, they all do the job superbly just the same as a £150 quid rod. :) :)

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Take a lok at the Shakespeare Range, Ive used them for tears, damn good rods at damn good value
I use a couple of Shakespeare "Quo Extreme" rods - £30each and are Ugly stick type blanks - they are stunning and have stood the test of time. I also have a Ron Thompson rod that is of a similar design - its a cracker too!

Dont pay through the nose for down tiders

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya Ada,

Action in a downtider is less important than 'guts', eh Davy?
yup, after all they all still bend :) ... it's just a case of making sure the rod don't bend too far :)

I'd be much more inclined to pay for 'action' etc in an uptider/beachcaster or fly rod.
Yup pretty much the same here, though I would add Spinning rod on to that list :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts