World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This trip was not planned in advance . The weather forecast had some cool easterly in store and rather than heading East we decided to go South West . This was just the time to try a new area , heading down South West we would be sheltered from the wind , kayak fishing behind the cliffs .
It's early morning and the alarm goes , it's 5am ! I consider another hour sleep . Glen , Tam and myself are preparing our kayaks and all the gears that goes with it , the list is long and you do not want to forget anything .The rocky beach , the calm sea and the cliffs looks an interesting place to fish . Ready go we paddle into a new fresh adventure .
Still very early and Glen is already playing a fish , a small Coley ticking of some new species . My rubber shad is fishing deep as I troll slowly and the reel drag start to tick away . I pick up the rod , it feels like a piece of weed . I reel in a lively Octopus and that is a first ! With all the tentacles playing and dancing I was not sure how to unhook the creature . I managed a quick photo , then got splashed with some black ink . The octopus was now stuck under the kayak and thankfully got his freedom back .
We then fished and drifted close to the rock face . The species list started to grow considerably , Cod , Pollock , Coley , Ballan Wrasse , Scorpion fish, Haddock , Cuckoo Wrasse all in small size but good numbers . We then went on exploring the rocky coast and stopped on a inaccessible spot . The place was littered with industrial fishing equipment , old nets , abused lobster pots , a toaster , plastic containers , driftwood and many deflated footballs .
We then trolled on slowly , Glen and his rapala floating lure was doing good , hooking and releasing many small pollock . We paddled toward a big sandy bay far in the distance , stopped there and paddle dig for some worms .
It was now time to head back . I stopped once more hoping for something special , slowly drifting . The rod bent and another pollock took the bait . The next drop was memorable , a first for me , a Cuckoo Wrasse , beautiful coloured fish , so beautiful it looked tropical !
Trying a new spot made this adventure so interesting , the Mull of Galloway was a great place to try

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well done man those male cuckoo wrasse are stunning fish, I've caught two octopus from the Railway pier in Oban before they stopped letting folks fish it with this octopus attached to my arm, not wanting to let go and squirting ink everywhere. Everytime I'd remove it from one it would just grab my other wrist eventually just stood at the side of the pier with my arm strecthed out and waited for it to let go, crazily wonderful creatures.

Tight lines, Jonny

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Well done guys, your doing well to work your way right around the coast of Scotland.
Nice mixed bag of fish to boot.
Great video as always nicolas.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers willie

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you're posts are always a joy what was the lure you where catching the pollock some sort of blade lure.
I was using the blade lure in deeper water with no bad result , Glen was trolling a rapala type floating lure and was doing even better with some top water action Bob

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I have fished the Mull of Galloway only once before from the shore and i loved every minute of it. Great report and fantastic pics love the colouring on the cuckoo wrasse only had one and that was at mull. An octopus not the sort of thing you catch everyday and you certainly had plenty of variety there. Looks like you found the local secret dump there too. I'm hopefully heading that way in july. Well done all of you on a great trip.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Great report and pics as usual Nic...well done on a good wee session there, with a great variety of species caught. Heading SW myself in a couple of weeks, for a weeks fishing holiday....can't wait! Tight lines! Gary

·
Registered
684 Posts
Looks very fishy indeed. And in the kayak, you can access it all Nicolas. Surprised there were no mackeral, too early still for the MOG?

Off there at the end of the month, for some rock & beach fishing and now can't wait.

Thanks for sharing

SC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts