World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the rocks at the back of the caravan park today, plenty of bites, a few lost, and three landed, all three were about 1 1/2 pounds.

I have to explore the area a bit more to find a more accessible mark.

Where I was fishing meant lifting the fish 20 or 30 feet up in the air not so good if it's a decent fish.

Usual baits, Lug, Mussel, Squid etc, deep water, very snaggy.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
You certainly did better than me, I went to Seaton of Usan on friday. It was flat calm, bright and warm - we gave it 3 hours, we tried a few different marks and not a single bite between us. Thought about moving to somewhere else but sometimes enough is enough and you have to accept you are wasting time and bait. Really need a good easterly blow and a nice prolonged cold spell, with neither on the cards I dont hold much hope for the coming weeks - but will keep trying..............

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard luck craig,

If nothing else we fishermen & lady's... are the ultimate optimists, Next time will be better, and sometimes it just IS!!!

I was hoping to get up to the Usan area in about a week's time, Do you reckon it's not worth while without a good easterly blow?

Does the area fish better high or low, never been there, seen pictures of a rocky outcrop on low water, I assume that's where to fish? Is there a good depth of water, even at low tide?

Thank's for the assistance.

Tight lines...(not to tight leave some for the rest of us)

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Usan area is usually a sure bet for a few fish, when I was there on friday conditions couldn't have been any worse. I have caught fish when it has been calm, but best to stick to the bigger tides and fish into darkness.

It is a relativley shallow mark and is best fished over low, although there are places to fish up and over high water. If the wind was to come from the east then things would get better, although fishing can be all but impossible if the wind really gets up. It is quite an exposed place and can be dangerous in a big sea, when the waves crash right over the rocks. The day I caught my 14lb cod was on the verge of being unfishable.

Thst was a few years ago now, and was the second week in January, I caught another good fish of just over 9lbs from Gourdon rocks the following week. The peak time is approaching - just got to be lucky and keep at it.............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts