World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what a day

Having received a message from the Angling Legend Ross Johnson offering help with my current Goby crisis I couldn't wait to take him up on the offer of a trip fishing.

Ross set the bar high saying we were looking to bag 20 species at 3 marks, if I could have knocked a couple of my list that would have enough however Ross certainly put me through my paces leaving me with my eyes wide open.

My brain is still struggling to compute that my light fishing gear is like a beach caster compared to his lol.

Ross was on absolute fire at Mark 1 Amlwch breakwater hitting 8 spieces in 30 minutes and fair play to him he really spent time showing me his tricks which resulted in my first ever Dragonet, Leopard Goby and Sand Goby.

This lad knows his onions and filled with enthusiasm I got a Rock Goby and Shanny, his knowledge being that good he literally put me over the fish.

With my Species target bettered as I am now on 30 for the year we set off in search of a Common and Black Goby.

Whilst they proved difficult the Cork Wings, Ballen's, Shanny's and tompots did not at Mark 2 Four Mile Bridge.

The fishing was insane and I am hurting from laughing so much. Ross also landed a beast of a Tompot which looked like a baby dragon.

Mark 3 was Dock Bach. Whilst not as busy we still found the fish.

Ross even took time to do a couple of YouTube videos for my channel.

I cannot say thank you enough look forward to fishing with you again

·
Registered
652 Posts
Great vids, i have just started fishing like that could do with a few lessons. I use a mixture of tiny bits of Rag and small scented plastic lures, the rag does better with mainly Wrasse, struggling with the species count ( 5) Sea Scorpians mainly with the plastic , will keep trying.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Could do with a local venue like Amlwch and Holyhead. The Stone Jetty in Aberystwyth used to be very good for mini species before the monster storms of 2014, when all the cracks and hidey-holes got rammed full of shingle and the weed was stripped off where it was growing. It's not yet recovered from that pasting.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Glad you got your gobies, and more 👏, Ross certainly knows his stuff 👍.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. Can't see second vid you put up though

·
Registered
652 Posts
It's amazing, all them mini spicies caught off Four Mile Bridge because all that's down ther is about three ft of water high tide and mud, and also at the foot of the wall there are loads of small Wrasse, i wonder were they all go when the tide goes out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts