World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, when I first had a go off southshields pier, an old lad told me that there was the remains of a small wreck on the inward side and pointed out to me where it was, he said it only ever fishes well after a huge sea but always throws up a few good uns. My chances to fish there have never coincided with the bigger seas, until now that is ! (although sunday might be too late). just wondered if this tale has any credibility or was he just takin the lash? Don't want to admit to being taken for a mug but have had a few casts into the area to no avail but to be fair it was in flat calm, top of the tide.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
dont fish that pier on a big sea..... the waves come over on the inside and run along the length of the pier.

i,ve never heard of a wreck in there but its so snaggy you,d think there was a dozen wrecks there.

·
Registered
542 Posts
theres a few wrecks off shields pier like bill says dont go on the pier when the sea is huge or the wil lfind you on the little beach a few days later

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember a couple of years ago diving the wreck of the Oslofjord south of shields pier and skipper telling us that the outskirts of the pier is littered with a number of small wrecks on the seaward side. These are all just piles of rubble now with only small pieces of wreckage remaining due to the battering they take from the sea over the years, so i guess there must be a few in between the piers aswell. The rubble remaining does make good fish holding spots, but also tackle graveyards!!!

As the lads say though don't attempt souths shields on a big sea!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that lads,
wouldn,t dream of taking a chance on there in bad weather, i have seen the wash that comes over as the swell races down the inward side of the pier. Dabcatcher, Managed to see live link from JV,s post yesterday looked far too nasty. Anyone even attempting to get on there on those conditions needs their head looking at !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts