World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been after mullet twice and failed miseably !!! first time i went to the creek near to medway tunnel , didnt see any fish around so took a walk around and found a nice spot , mashed some bread up threw it in as ground bait and cast my float out...nothing ,
this morning i tried sun pier(chatham) with a onion bag of mashed up bread , couldnt see any fish again , cast out with a float set up and didnt even get a bite !
am i trying at the wrong time of year , or isnt it the right sort of weather ?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Maybe a bit early yet Steve, and they like the sunny weather, but why notgive Maggots a try, I was told they sare a good bait for Mullet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank mate , will leave it for a couple of weeks and hope the weather turns a bit better !!!
and will try out the maggots as well , as im sure other fish will enjoy them as well !
thanks again for the advice mate.:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
they like it when the water is warm i THINK it is when it is above 12 degrees (the water that is) and also with sun peir take a trip at low tide and look on the pillars that the jetty slides up and down on and look for the lip marks.

james

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did have a quick look at the structures but couldnt see any mouth marks , so i presume they arnt around yet.
the other place i have seen them in previous years is right outside the command house by the steps going down to water so wll have a trip over there at some point and see if there is any around . may take me rod as well just in case !!!
thanks lil james:)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Medway Mullet usually don't feed 'consistently' until around mid-June (although they do have feeding spells from March, these 'spells' increasing in number and length as the water warms).

Even when feeding 'consistently' expect to blank three out of five sessions or more.

Mullet will feed on maggots when there is plenty available, ie when the rising springs are picking up maggot-laden seaweed off the beaches in hot weather, but if they are not feeding on maggot they are not feeding on maggot, so I'd advise sticking to breadflake in the Medway.

(I fished with one guy who filled a tin, with a small hole in the bottom, with maggots, so that they trickled one by one into the water. No mullet came to feed, but the small pouting lined up at Sun Pier and it was a bite per chuck!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks leon, i will persevere with the bread flake then :)
and will have another bash at them around mid june , i am determined to catch one of these beauties .
i have been sea fishing for a number of years and never really thought much about mullet till the other day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Mullet have just turend over at wallsea Island and there is some lunkers here hanging off the bottom of the boats, and the water Temp is 12c:yeah:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Not sure if it is relevant to the Medway, but when I fish the Sussex Ouse I rarely cast before I have them visually feeding on the freebies. If I cant get them feeding in a hour, I will move on. Saves an awfull lot of blank bank hours using this approach. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe worth a go at that mate , cheers ... sounds very similar to stalking carp ! will see what happens when i can visually see the mullet.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Not sure if it is relevant to the Medway, but when I fish the Sussex Ouse I rarely cast before I have them visually feeding on the freebies. If I cant get them feeding in a hour, I will move on. Saves an awfull lot of blank bank hours using this approach. Hope it helps.

The Medway is usually heavily coloured, so it's quite rare to see mullet before the float dips.

Freebies are quickly swept away in the tide, although on odd occasions you can detect the fish tugging at the bottom of the bread bag.

Fishing from Sun Pier, the fish are often beneath the pontoon, and only come out when they see the bait drift past.

It's generally a sitting and waiting game, and often just one bite during the session.

Missing that one bite, or worse, spooking a fish you didn't know was there until you move the rod and there is a sudden swirl, can be heatbreaking (though often a missed bite can tempt another if the fish hasn't been spooked and you get you bait back in quickly but carefully).

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Quite a different river! The Ouse is fast, and most of your freebies do get swept downstream, but they tend to drop out of the tide into cracks and crannies, and the mullet tend to follow this up, so by the time they reach you they are actively seeking the bread crumb. But all the fishing is visual, you are nomally fishing in less than three feet of water, and with the rig I use you are mostly watching the bait. Can be very exciting stuff! Doesnt much help SteveLing though, unless he wants to swap rivers......:)
Having said that, I should imagine this technique would work on any River (its not really different to loose feeding fo chub), but to not see if the fish are following the trail up would require a lot of confidence!

·
Registered
60 Posts
there are plenty of mullet in the medway,try fishing at lloyds in chatham and as the tide rises move round to the pump station near staples to fish over high. Use small line,normally i fish with 3lb line and lst years results were 100% better than the previous year when i used 6lb. had them to 7 n a half pound last year. ive bin told by a friend who works on medway city estate that hes already seen lots of fish this year and i intend to take my first mullet trip of the year on sundy. hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts