World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent 1 up and 2 down of high tide on the car park at Stannah Bank at Fairhaven today and watched others pulling in a few Flounders..... probably about 10 rods out in all and I think 3 or 4 pulled in of a decent size...(just over a pound a piece roughly) .... Scalemate pulled the 1st one about 1/2 hour before high tide on fresh black lug on a feathered trace and although I had a knock or two I managed to keep up my blanking and even got to see a flattie spit my bait out about 2 yards from the shore.... I do believe it waved at me before it swam back out into the estuary :schmoll: .....The other catches were brought in on lug tipped off with clam I think.... as we packed up our tackle Scalemate managed to rub some salt into the wound by pulling another one out almost at his feet..... I think I muttered something like "well done" but apparently it sounded different to him......
Oh well there is always tomorrow...........
One day.....

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hard luck billy.....you can cast past the fish there...anything more than 40yds and u are reducing your chances.
clam and blow are great baits there...so is peeler.
I often find that frozen outfishes fresh there for reason!
The main thing there is that u fish short snoods...12" are perfect.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
i was getting worried..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................thought you might have been still sat in the boat waiting for the tide to come in:unsure: :roll1:

i take it you didnt have the boat out then lads :blink: ????

might give low water at fairhaven a go in next couple of weeks bit busy at the mo so cant get out but will shortly

well done scalemate on the fish matey:clap3: :clap3:
theres always next time billy :)

tightlines....................................daz

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard luck billy.....you can cast past the fish there...anything more than 40yds and u are reducing your chances.
clam and blow are great baits there...so is peeler.
I often find that frozen outfishes fresh there for reason!
The main thing there is that u fish short snoods...12" are perfect.
Hi Danix
Are you trying to tell me that I don't need the casting education weekend to be able to blank at Fairhaven any more.............:fish:.... You are probably right mate and the tactics I used were exactly the same as Scalemate next to me and we probably only cast about 40-50 yds today, but hey, it's all about enjoyment .... and I enjoyed the day none the less!
Thanks for the bait tips and it maybe that we'll get some crab for tomorrows chuck from the training wall.....:sun: :sun: :sun:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was getting worried..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................thought you might have been still sat in the boat waiting for the tide to come in:unsure: :roll1:

i take it you didnt have the boat out then lads :blink: ????

Cheers Daz,
We did start to finish off the last few bits on the boat and then thought .....Hey ....we could be fishin'......... so the fishin' won..... except in my case where some more lug managed to achieve their "30 min submerged while scaring fish" awards and now have some new ribbons for their swimming cossies!!:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

Like you say there is always tomorrow!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are thinking about it..... waiting to hear from Scalemate at the mo as he was Flu'd up to his eyeballs today ....so it depends on how he is in the morning.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
thats were i usually fish low by the pipe

clam is a killer bait theres loads of them out there it even outfishes worm wont go out there without it i get them with a large bore pump

tightlines.......................daz

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Danix and Daz:mail2: ..... We are aware of the tides sneaking in around our backs but thanks for the reminder........ am hoping to learn a little more about this pumping for bait lark at the casting weekend meet in St. Annes as it is all new to me.... "when I were a lad"..... we dug with narrow spades but my back now convinces me to buy most of my bait ...... with me it seems to be a charitable gesture as nothing seems to want to eat it!!!

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Dave

on this casting day you and Phil have organised are you still doing the pumping session matey or have you organised that for another time ??????

oh and good advice about them tides if you do get a bit cut off head towards st Anne's way its not so deep that way but advisable to leave in plenty of time

didnt see your post matey might pop down on the day and bring my pump as well depends if i'm busy or not ,
not bringing a rod this time ??

tightlines....................daz

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'll bring my pump to the casting event....should be some about
Went out to the wall .....word must have spread about my quality swimming lessons for bait as a couple of baby flounders tried to get free lessons............. not sure whether that counts as non-blanking........ that was it for the morning but I was away before the tide came in so only fished the ebb, slack and start of the tide coming in.......... and you were right about how quick it rushes in there...... but no worries, I made it back to Seafield Ok.
Had a good poke around for peeler crabs out there (where I used to get 'em) but only miniature ones around .....

Looking forward to seeing the pump action ... my back is feeling the effort of this mornings digging.:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

Tight lines all..... it's a great day out there!

·
Registered
150 Posts
What's this casting event, i wouln't mind coming myself, i would like to learn alittle more about "pumping" also:laugh:

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
What's this casting event, i wouln't mind coming myself, i would like to learn alittle more about "pumping" also:laugh:

sorry darth you missed the casting event it was last month matey ,

will try to organise a pumping session to help anyone out that needs some in the near future will post a couple of dates when i have them sorted ,

and we'll have to see about organising a few more local events as well

tightlines......................daz

·
Registered
150 Posts
sorry darth you missed the casting event it was last month matey ,

will try to organise a pumping session to help anyone out that needs some in the near future will post a couple of dates when i have them sorted ,

and we'll have to see about organising a few more local events as well

tightlines......................daz
Do any of these pumping sessions end up in the taps after?:)

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well i dont no matey :drunk:

not been in there for ages............................:thumbs:

it's not the way i come back from the beach where i go pumping

tightlines.........................daz

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do any of these pumping sessions end up in the taps after?:)
:g: :g: :g: I'm sure that as any venue goes for the homeward leg, "The Taps" would be as good a place as any to go to for the refreshment and to summarise the days activities!:clap3:

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts