World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if this is gonna be in the right forum but ill give it ago... Nearly every weekend im out casting a lead on a beach around the south east and dont get me wrong i love it.... But i been looking at having a bash at fly fishing for trout or perking ..just to give it a go and hope to add a new species photo in my album.im not into carp fishing at all...but spinning and fly fishing for trout looks quite a good tactical challenge.. any one have any info on where to go how much it would cost for a basic setup..any licenses i need?

·
Registered
942 Posts
A half decent setup you can get for under £100. A fresh water license is required. There are many lakes that stock trout as well as reservoir's, Bewl reservoir is one I could mention. I was very unsure when a friend of mine kept beleating on about trying fly fishing, I eventually gave in and tried it and loved it, you wont be disapointed..

You can always use the skills you have learnt when trying fly fishing and give it a go with the Bass in the summer..

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive heard of this bewl water sounds good..like i say ive watched a couple of videos on the net and wana give it a few sessions n see what happens... would be nice to have a change of fish,technique,fight,and overall accomplishment of catching a fish using a different method than the one ive known since i was a lil boy sitting on me dads tackle box pulling the legs off peeler crabs ha ha

cheers mate

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ive heard of this bewl water sounds good..like i say ive watched a couple of videos on the net and wana give it a few sessions n see what happens... would be nice to have a change of fish,technique,fight,and overall accomplishment of catching a fish using a different method than the one ive known since i was a lil boy sitting on me dads tackle box pulling the legs off peeler crabs ha ha

cheers mate
Bewl is a good venue but to the beginner it can be a bit daunting if you are set on fishing from a boat. If fishing from the bank next year then you may be governed by the wind as to where you start your quest for the Trout.

There is a smaller fishery in Tenterden which will offer you the chance of hooking up to a few fish while offering you the chance to chat to and watch others. Other significant venues include Hanningfield Reservoir in Essex and a great little water called Powder Mill near Battle in east Sussex.

I'm self taught and as such have developed a somewhat unconventional casting style - which would no doubt have the purist's head in hands. Too old to change now but if you get the chance then Bewl do offer coaching just to get you going. There is as much skill in Flyfishing re water craft as there is in sea fishing imho aswell as casting.

Good luck . . . . it's a fabulous sport.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Plenty of day ticket places to fish most charge around £20-£25 per day.
Have some casting lessons mine cost £70 for two hours sounds dear but worth it.
Some places do rod hire which may be better than spending lots of cash on the wrong tackle, a 6-7 weight rod is ideal.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brilliant info guys.. i can tell its a exciting sport by the way u guys are writing. Looking forward to learning and having a go...and who knows i could end up with one more rod amongst my collection of fish fighting sticks in me SHED cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Try fishing Barry's at Tenterden nice and easy u can also do a catch and release if u don't want to take the fish home at the end, fly fishing is so much more than course fishing yr always doing some thing and moving around, beats sitting behind a buzzer and dozing of

1 - 7 of 7 Posts