·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder how M&S will handle this.

Orange Font Liquid Plastic Advertising

Email I received today:

"Hi Friends,

Thanks so much to the 115,000 of you who signed our petition calling on M&S to come clean about the damage caused by their factory farmed salmon products. They met with us and received the petition signatures and yet still they continue to sell these products that have enormous environmental impacts as "responsibly sourced."

This simply is not good enough. Shoppers are being duped into buying very damaging products they might otherwise avoid if they were accurately labelled. We know the oceans are in a terrible state. 90% of big fish have gone to overfishing. We need our supermarkets to be open, honest and transparent about the impacts of the products they bring to market so that consumers are empowered to make good choices.

Our analysis has shown, without any doubt, that M&S farmed salmon has all the same problems associated with it as any other supermarket salmon. The animals are crammed into cages at such high density they suffer from disease and sea lice parasites. The sea lice infect wild salmon swimming by the cages - now wild salmon are in serious decline in Scotland and could go extinct. Massive amounts of wild fish are caught elsewhere in the world to feed the caged salmon and on top of all of this - immense amounts of raw sewage is spewed out into precious coastal marine habitats from the open cages. The factory farming of salmon is as perverse and damaging to planet earth as any factory farming and is anything but "responsible".

So... we have made stickers to alert fellow shoppers to the damage being done. You can see one in use in this video -

Login • Instagram

If corporations are going to make immense profits whilst harming nature we have to step up and become vigilante consumers. It is not enough to just avoid these products - we have to actively alert our friends, families and communities to avoid these products as well. That is why we are using these new stickers to alert fellow shoppers to the most dodgy products. Find out more on Ecohustler.com.

If we learned anything from COP26 it is this - governments and corporations would rather maintain the business status quo than take appropriate action to protect the natural world we all depend on. Now is the time for those of us who want to see nature protected to step up and do more to protect Planet Earth.

If you would like some stickers - please get in touch.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Matt
https://ecohustler.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Do you have slightly more information please, so those of us who avoid Instagram can find out what the story is? Ta.

Reactions: Colin Chaplin

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Should cows, sheep, chicken, etc. be banned too? They're all farmed!
Big difference, you can't see the damage to Farm Fish, The lice, the fact they even import, use Wrasse to help clean them, the pollution to water, the feed and colourant, and i would agree, if Farmed animals were treated the same way as salmon, they should be banned.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Big difference, you can't see the damage to Farm Fish, The lice, the fact they even import, use Wrasse to help clean them, the pollution to water, the feed and colourant, and i would agree, if Farmed animals were treated the same way as salmon, they should be banned.
Ah but now your getting into very dodgy territory treat farm animals like fish farms treat fish and they should be banned all sounds well and good until you then reverse it and say give fish the same rights as mammals and then that's angling straight out of the window and banned for a start

·
Registered
580 Posts
To many mouths to feed is the problem.
I know its an impossibility but if i could come for just a few minutes it would be right before us humans have completely ****ed the planet and gives up. One can only imagine the ****ing state the place will be in just before mother nature says thats it im done. :cautious:

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Ah but now your getting into very dodgy territory treat farm animals like fish farms treat fish and they should be banned all sounds well and good until you then reverse it and say give fish the same rights as mammals and then that's angling straight out of the window and banned for a start
I don't think so, people still shoot Animals don't they?. Your welcome to eat that s*** Salmon, if you can call that food. As for Anglers we should be asking, where are the Wild Salmon, thought the reason for fish farming was to help Wild fish recover?. But it seems that people don't care what they eat, or certainly know what there are getting, even the labelling does not even say Farmed Salmon?.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
I don't think so, people still shoot Animals don't they?. Your welcome to eat that s*** Salmon, if you can call that food. As for Anglers we should be asking, where are the Wild Salmon, thought the reason for fish farming was to help Wild fish recover?. But it seems that people don't care what they eat, or certainly know what there are getting, even the labelling does not even say Farmed Salmon?.
Yep people still hunt and shoot animals but that's hardly the equivalent of dragging a cow round a field by a meathook through its face then holding its head underwater while you take photos of it.
You want to start treating fish like mammals and your opening an ethical can of worms as far angling goes. Damage to the environment that's a different matter.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Should cows, sheep, chicken, etc. be banned too? They're all farmed!
No. the above did to be bred over thousands of years. There to not be anywhere left onto earth where you can to see wild farm animals that to be left alone and not maintained into some fashion. We do to already "farm fish" by badly maintaining stock levels
The purpose of meat and fish is to eat it.
What we to now have is fish to be killed by the thousands of tonnes to feed pigs, who still to this day cannot to fish into the wild.
We to then pen wild fish to be for convenience to harvest, yet to feed them with inconvemient industrial fished, pelleted food, to fatten them to eat.
Tell me why we cannot to just fish for these fish like we to fish for all others? Better still to fish sustainably with as little harm to the environment as possible.
You can to detect a fishfarm into the sediment quality upto 20km away from some of these fish farms. That to cascade up and down the foodchain and to cause serious issues.

Im afraid the only "farmed" fish i to be close to supporting is aquaponics where we to get the maximum out of what we do to farm, because we to use the excess nutrients to feed vegetable growth. All can to be contained onto land and not to pollute. Self sustaining if done correctly.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
No. the above did to be bred over thousands of years. There to not be anywhere left onto earth where you can to see wild farm animals that to be left alone and not maintained into some fashion. We do to already "farm fish" by badly maintaining stock levels
The purpose of meat and fish is to eat it.
What we to now have is fish to be killed by the thousands of tonnes to feed pigs, who still to this day cannot to fish into the wild.
We to then pen wild fish to be for convenience to harvest, yet to feed them with inconvemient industrial fished, pelleted food, to fatten them to eat.
Tell me why we cannot to just fish for these fish like we to fish for all others? Better still to fish sustainably with as little harm to the environment as possible.
You can to detect a fishfarm into the sediment quality upto 20km away from some of these fish farms. That to cascade up and down the foodchain and to cause serious issues.

Im afraid the only "farmed" fish i to be close to supporting is aquaponics where we to get the maximum out of what we do to farm, because we to use the excess nutrients to feed vegetable growth. All can to be contained onto land and not to pollute. Self sustaining if done correctly.
The purpose of meat and fish is to eat it. As a food source yes I agree, as long as the species are fished sustainably but they can be worth far more to the country as viable recreational species.

Tell me why we cannot to just fish for these fish like we to fish for all others? Because single minded tunnel vision conservation orgs and their kind do not want us to fish for wild salmon, just as they do not want us to fish for ABFT. It is looking increasing likely that true wild salmon is far more endangered than ABFT in UK waters because of laws that place commercial fishing profits above the welfare of the species.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts