World Sea Fishing Forums banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Do you to talk from kitchen scraps?
I can to understand to an extent the logic behind the non kitchen scrap rule. But it to fly into the face of the reason of salmonella etc when you do to think humans to be eating the food that does to turn into scraps anyway!
I to remember the first few pork joints we did to eat as a family late 80s early 90s that did to be fed onto fish meal. Rank. I to no longer eat pork or bacon unless i to know where it to be from and what it did to be fed. A shame as it did to be my favorite meat.
We used to go round places like Greengrocers(If anyone remembers them?) and other places and pick up bins they put waste in then it was boiled so bugs are killed off

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
We used to go round places like Greengrocers(If anyone remembers them?) and other places and pick up bins they put waste in then it was boiled so bugs are killed off
Yes it to not make such sense does it. It to be the same with chickens and to no doubt others You can to feed them some greens you do to pick from the plant, but to take it inside, cut a bit off for food then to throw it back out for them to be against the law 🤷‍♀️

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Here and in the UK we have the problem that we don't eat fish from a lower trophic level than salmon/trout and other carnivores. Historically, as still on the continent, we ate carp and other coarse fish grown in ponds relying on natural production (plus a bit of fertilisation) to produce high quality protein with little environmental impact. Some of these systems can be huge and provide much needed wetland habitats as a big bonus. The Bishop of Winchester was, supposedly, the biggest fish farmer in Europe at one time. I've eaten carp quite a few times, a few delicious and a few sh1t, but most OK. I'm sure that a bit of research into flesh quality could pay dividends in taste. The best thing of all about carp culture is that the water required is to fill the pond and thereafter top up to counterract evaporation. Nutrient rich water can be re-used for other ponds or put to reed beds to remove said nutrients. Carp farming has, over recent decades, become obsessed with the production of fish for the angling market, as large fish command £1000s, and the production of cheap, natural food has fallen by the wayside.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The purpose of meat and fish is to eat it. As a food source yes I agree, as long as the species are fished sustainably but they can be worth far more to the country as viable recreational species.

Tell me why we cannot to just fish for these fish like we to fish for all others? Because single minded tunnel vision conservation orgs and their kind do not want us to fish for wild salmon, just as they do not want us to fish for ABFT. It is looking increasing likely that true wild salmon is far more endangered than ABFT in UK waters because of laws that place commercial fishing profits above the welfare of the species.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The rod and line fishery for salmon in the UK, especially Scotland, is huge. On the whole it's a rich mans sport both in terms of the anglers and the often vast estates that own the fishing. It therefore has both political and financial clout. There is no sizeable rod fishery for salmon in the sea. Net fisheries have, on the whole, been phased/bought out and stocks are managed through ICES, using what is now a huge model for wild salmon stocks and their survival in both fresh and saltwater. As the species is so well researched and documented the management of stocks is quite well informed. Where these 'laws' that favour commercial fishing come from, please educate us, and whilst you're at it please advise on conservation orgs that are against rod and line fishing for salmon? Salmon fisheries cover vast areas of land relying on whole catchment management to maintain stocks, requiring a return on investment (angling) to keep the river systems in shape, even to break even. BFT are a wholy marine species and require no management other than to restrict exploitation (commercial quota) or angling pressure, so they therefore do not need exploitation to survive and therefore are not comparable to salmon in any way other than that they're a fish!

61 - 65 of 65 Posts