World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked my dad if he would like to go fishing this weekend, you know for Father’s Day. 😉

His favourite method is float fishing live prawn so the first job was to collect the bait the night before. We also took a rod down to the rocks for a few casts of a SG seeker. My dad had a pollock of about 2lb (?) on the first cast (returned), then we caught a couple of mackerel. With the bait sorted and breakfast for my kids 😋 we left to get an early night.

Vertebrate Plant Fish Fin Tail

Next morning my alarm was set for 3am, and we were down at the mark by 4am. We didn’t need head torches for the walk this time - it is amazing how early it gets light this time of year. 😳
Conditions were pretty good to start. A bit of chop but not bad and very good water clarity. However after 3 hours of trotting our floats with the tide down the sides of the rocks all we had to show for ourselves was several deceased prawns half eaten by little wrasse. To make matters worse there was now a more significant swell building, the sun was getting bright and the water clarity had turned to a brown soup. 😞

Still we were now within what I have experienced to be the best phase of the tide there, we had plenty of prawns and no deadline from the family so we fished on in hope.

The action kicked off when my dad’s float shot under, just a few meters in front of us next to a small bed of rocks and kelp between some sand. The fish pulled hard to start but didn’t seem to be a bass, a wrasse maybe I asked but my dad said “no” and then remained silent he played the fish as it now started to kite from right to left and back again. When it finally surfaced we both just said “wow”!

Gesture Watch Fish Fisherman Seafood

Coincidentally I had just said to my brother a few days earlier that I had gotten some crab to target smooth hounds for the first time, and I just needed to work out where to go. Turns out my favourite bass mark is pretty good 😊.
After resting her in the net for a while we got a quick weight (just below 6lb) and a few photos then she was off back into the kelp.

20 minutes later my dad was in again. This time it was a nice 49cm bass. We released it quickly and re-baited.
Water Underwater Fish Marine biology Fin

15 minutes after that I looked to my right and saw his rod bent over again. I asked if he was snagged and he just said “no” 🤷‍♂️. I said “a fish?” and he confirmed “fish on”. Apparently I said something not particularly supportive at this point - but then he normally out fishes me! 🤣

As I was helping release his second bass my float went under. I struck into it and made contact but the braid was snagged in the kelp. Fortunately the fish helped pull it free as it headed out to sea taking line with the exciting zzzzzz. Then it took a sharp turn to the right and headed toward a large rock, staying deep between more kelp. I knew this was a good fish and concerned about the snags I quickly traversed between rock pools to get a better angle but getting soaked by a wave 🌊 at the same time. After a few more runs she surfaced and was quickly scooped up by my dad in the net.

Fish Glove Fisherman Fishing Recreational fishing

After unhooking and a rest she measured at 65cm and just over 6lb. Then released with another wave giving me another soaking.

At this point both my dad and I were very wet but satisfied with our catch. We decided to give it another 20 minutes and after no further action we headed home.
This meant I was home in time to prepare the mackerel for the kid’s breakfast 😋. Clean plates quickly followed.
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Plate

Just to round things off with a quick report from last week; I had two short sessions. First at sunset on the lures and had one 47cm bass. The second was during the morning from a very deep rock mark targeting pollock - this one was a blank but a worthwhile learning experience.
Water Underwater Fish Fin Marine biology

Tight lines everyone.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Great fishing Greg with a couple of cracking specimens 👏.

Reactions: Greg Blank

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great read that, thank you.
Some really nice fish caught too, well done. 👏🏻

I fancy having a little go at fishing with live prawn, especially having seen your positive results. 👍🏻

Not sure how best and most productive way of even catching the prawns though.. 🙈😂

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great read that, thank you.
Some really nice fish caught too, well done. 👏🏻

I fancy having a little go at fishing with live prawn, especially having seen your positive results. 👍🏻

Not sure how best and most productive way of even catching the prawns though.. 🙈😂
Cheers mate. It is certainly a very enjoyable method. I keep meaning to have a proper go at beach fishing, with your recent report as extra encouragement, but given the luck I have been having with prawn I keep getting drawn back to what I know! 🙃
I’ll pm you later with some tips if helpful.
Greg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cheers mate. It is certainly a very enjoyable method. I keep meaning to have a proper go at beach fishing, with your recent report as extra encouragement, but given the luck I have been having with prawn I keep getting drawn back to what I know! 🙃
I’ll pm you later with some tips if helpful.
Greg
Cheers Greg. 👍🏻

I'm not surprised you keep getting drawn back to it... You've been having some great results!

Certainly looks to be a very rewarding method. 🎣🎣

1 - 9 of 9 Posts