World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

im in a debate on which one of these to get a fathom 15 or the older penn 525 supermag xtra
ive always used my daiwa saltist bg20h but get annoyed how poor the paint quality is for such a pricey reel even a simple clean over will remove the paint on it and have got rid of it

is their any different benefits to either one of these reels
thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Fathom is very solid and robust, casts well and great cranking power. Magged they are even better

·
Premium Member
16,342 Posts
I have my ones magged, not for distance but for control, it makes life easier if you're casting a 7oz lead and half a Mackie into a wind! just tighten the mags a bit!
Back to the Fathom, the brakes are the weak point and they respond to being
magged very well, cracking reels and very well built!

G

·
Only problems with Saltists ( or the ones I had when they first came out ) was they had an issue with the stardrag thread stripping (was sorted out by Diawa ) and looked like they've been dragged behind a car after a few weeks

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
both similar sized reels in capacity had both like both! one thing with the Smag is can get the tourni side plate then have adjustable mag easily mine are 525T's so already done as new.
both strong reels both will break if drop them! must admit do like the handle on the fathom can sort of hang off it as winding in as opposed to being over it with a 65 so nice n easy/quicker.
Casting wise the 525 if set right could have the edge? wouldnt say much in it esp fishing wise!
Reeling in wise both strong as both have good clutches/gearing.
Fathom bit harder to work on than 525 as 525 can have apart&back together in 10mins service.
Maintenance fathom will need more plus need to take apart sides/handle & grease threads or will corrode and seize same as saltists too as mixed metals plus cage needs cleaning or will corrode under coating(can split threads if left too long as as corrosion swells up)

but at the end A comes down to what you can get your mitts on? B price. but id be happy with either as both will work won't be unhappy with either
Some moan "but cages crack" well try dropping any reel on the rocks/floor and see what happens! plus rods don't like it either.

But should have chucked your Saltist this way could have swapped you for 525t's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.