World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what other forum useres favourite hooks are and which ones they would recommend for different fishing situations. My favourite scrathing hook for flatties is the Mustad blue BLN Aberdeen in sizes 2 - 6, for whitting, doggies and codling its the Kamasan B940M in sizes 2/0 - 4, and for lerger Cod, Huss and Rays it has to be the Sakuma Mata Extra in sizes 2/0 to 6/0. Any bigger, such as fro conger and huss then its the Mustad O'Shaugsey in size 10/0 - 6/0. All feedback is welcome, perhaps we could even have a poll as to favourite hook brands: e.g. Mustad, Sakuma, Kamasan, Gamakatsu, Varivas etc.
Also if people could post good deals on hooks and tips on baits for hooks then feel free.
Cheers Iain

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will start the ball rolling by saying that i find i can get a better hook up rate for doggies by using the Varivas semi-circle hooks in size 1/0. These hooks also seem to o well for flatties but baiting them with worm can be a bit tricky and takes practice to get used to them.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I will start the ball rolling by saying that i find i can get a better hook up rate for doggies by using the Varivas semi-circle hooks in size 1/0. These hooks also seem to o well for flatties but baiting them with worm can be a bit tricky and takes practice to get used to them.
I haven't tried circle or semi circle hooks. Do they always get hook in the corner of the mouth as they say they do?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not always, but you will hook far more doggies in the snout than deep down which can often occur using the more traditional J-hooks. One thing to bear in mind though is that these hooks work better with shorter 6-12inch (Yes you read that correctly!) snood lengths. Quite often the fih will hook themselves against the weight of the lead and it is unnecessary to strike at the bites as quite often the fish is already hooked. Try them fro yourself I'am convinced that they do work better than J-hhoks for certain fishing applications. I know angler who prefer them for tope and spurdog aswell, however i have not tried them for this type of fishing. I will try them this summer though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mustad crab claws just the same

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
black kamazans for flatties, whiting dogs an all that.

then for bigger fish i like the sakuma mantas...mustad vikings are pants i think...

the mantas are cheap aswell, better than the kamazan uptiders but half the price

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
nearly always use circle hooks now.my preference is for owner,but seeing as they are so expensive i usually use razor claw,but recently have started to use dave mcfluffchucker (yes you read right,tho the larger sizes look better made than the smaller ones)hooks.ok,you do have to bait up a bit different to j hooks and you don't strike,but so far they seem ok for doggies,whiting,pouting,codling and poor cod.i would say though too use as large a size as you think you can get away with as the small sizes don't hook into large mouths too easily.as for lip hooking,well i would say with my results that all pouting,codling and poor cod have been lip hooked,only one doggie of at least a 100 has managed to swallow the hook (strangely it was one of the smallest doggies as well:g: ),but the whiting have'nt fared quite so well with about 30% swallowing the hook.plan on trying for flatties rays,bass and conger soon.as a matter of interest i have found that more bites have resulted in fish since changing over:)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Depends what I'm targeting, most situations can be covered by mustad aberdeens in different sizes (I regularly use aberdeens between size 4 and 3/0), after 3/0 I switch to bronze mustad uptide vikings, 4/0 for rays, 6/0 for tope :fish:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I tried the Partridge range a fair few weeks ago and i have to say they are pretty impressive on the whole. They are proving hard to beat to be honest.
I sent a fair few rigs out with these hooks on

The Saltwater special aberdeen perfects in size 1 and 2 on cascades and plaice rigs.

The Uptide Pennel rigs matched with the Uptide Sting points on Pennel set ups.

some rigs were sent out gratis purely for opinions *not just on the hooks)
and some were sold and i asked that i put Partridge hooks on again to get opinions.
The results were exactly what i expected and i am now getting asked for them on most rigs i send out.
From what i gather they were a most used hook brand in the early 80's and i can honestly see them making it to that level again.
They stay sharp for a start and are not for those people who like to use a hook once then throw it away (i can never figure that out myself)

The Pro Match size 4 now go on all my own Sole rigs and i am sold on the whole range.
Thats only my opinion though, and a fair few others are impressed.

·
Registered
532 Posts

I use the circle hooks but they are a pig to bait up without a baiting needle, I think they say these are not suitable for worm baits........but don't take notice of that, good hook rate too

I have got some of the semi circles which look excellent, look good and sturdy, so will try those this year.

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
sakuma mantas for bigger fish such as rays and congers or these single use cheapy american hooks bought in wal - mart for 99c for a pack of 50 which are sizes 1, 2 or 4...
great for the flatties, pouting etc.......

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
size 6 mustad bln .. gars and mini species

size 4 kamasan b940s for flounders and eels .... small but sharp and strong

size 2 varives saltwater champions... for most of my fishing. very sharp and strong.

size 1 varivas swc ..... pollock, mackerel and plaice.

size 1/0 varivas swc ... whiting, small cod, dogs and rays.

size 3/0 varives swc ... cod, dogs, rays, huss,

size 5/0 varives bigmouths .. cod from a height, huss

varivas are the sharpest hooks i have come across. and in packs of 30 they are also one of the cheapest on the market.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
i mainly use the stronger B940 pattern in a size 4 to 2,

for bigger hooks, size 1 1/0 2/0 4/0 and 6/0 i usually prefer the 'uptiders', very strong and very sharp, they last well if cleaned after each trip too,

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Well, As I recently won a pack of each of the range of Kamasan Sea hooks in the SAN, I'd better say them......but I usually use Mustads, from size 1, right up to 10/0, if I need a 12/0, I borrow one from Davy Holt,..... as I think, hes got the whole of the UK stock of them on his boat !!! :)............in the bigger sizes, its the 3406's I like...great hooks....sharp and strong....:):)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Any fine wire aberdeen hook for me
Neal
The Skink

1 - 20 of 39 Posts