World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm...I shall start...

Drift fishing for flatties afloat. With redgilling for pollack a close second.

Worst type of fishing, fishing for big stuff and Pirking!

What are your best and worst types of fishing?

Mike Jnr

·
Registered
325 Posts
For action, drifting or spinning, when I am lazy, which is most of the time, bottom fishing from a boat or float fishing from the shore targetting what,s available.

Worst type, anything that causes stress. I fish to get away from it.

Fred

·
Registered
465 Posts
Bassing on the Crouch, pitch black just me my bass rod, bucket of peelers and my pockets stuffed with a few spare rigs ect. Bait up cast out wait for the bass, then have a wander and try again from another spot bit like river stalking.

Ryan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Picture it: You spend the afternoon sitting at your flytying vice, eyes straining to create all sorts of weird and wonderful creations, sandeels imitations, baitfish imitations, poppers and something that looks like a medium sized budgie! Finally the sun starts to sink lower in the sky. It's light leaving a speckled pattern on the floor as it shines through the leaves of the cheastnut tree in the garden means it's time to go!

The 15 minute drive to this low water mark seems much longer as your anticipation grows. You just know it's going to be a good session! The warm humid conditions that have been building all week leave a few beads of sweat on your nose as you get into your chesties. Most of the your memorable bass fly fishing sessions have coincided with such conditions. As you scramble hurriedly over the weed covered rocks of this low tide mark you notice a sea trout leap clear of the water away to you left and a shoal of mackerel are working the whitebait about 50 yards off shore to your right. Things are looking good! Time to select a fly, due to the low water and the amount of weedbeds about you decide on a popper. White bucktail for the tail, pearly fritz for the body and some red artic fox just behind the head to simulate red flaring gills. All of this covered with an ethafoam back to keep it afloat. Looks perfect! A nice cast in between some weed beds coupled with a jerky twitchy retrieve. All of a sudden a bow wave appears behind the fly, then a huge bucket like mouth appears behind your fly and engulfs it! Heaven............

Well that's my favourite! If this isn't available, it has to be an 18 hook with a bit of a cockle dipped in the rockpools waiting for the arm wrenching bite of the goby!!

Mick

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh Mick, what a quality post!

Must admit to been a bit partial to the old mini species fishing myself :D As well as giving the fly rod a good flexing now and again.

Mike Jnr

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Any form of fishing, but I am partial to winkling out a few flatties on my carp rod. Half a dozen maddies on a size 1 hook, 3 ounce plain lead, short cast, prop the rod up in the rest and watch it fly round when a fish takes the bait. Most fun you can have with your clothes on. :)

More respect for the humble flounder, please.

G

·
Best

Float fishing from a rock platform into fairly deep water with kelp beds and rocky outcrops nearby and, all of a sudden the float bogs orff at a rate of knots, with my trusty Greys GRX Spent double, with screaming, "I'm in", not knowing what is on the end of it

Worst

When it is pee-ing down with rain, very cold and very windy, or, when inconsiderate angler(I use that term loosly), don't give a **** about the envirnment they are around, abusing the fish and scenary! GRRRrrrr

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Love going out on a boat trip, great bit of banter from the lads your going out with, the P taking etc, all makes up for a great days fishing. and if you catch something...even better :D

close second for me has to be, planning a days shore fishing, sorting out tackle/bait, then setting off for your intended mark......only to change your mind 20 mins into drive and go somewhere completly different ;) lol still enjoy it though

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
its got to be sore fishing, over rough ground, with very light tackle, for bass, wrasse and pollock. a very close second has got to be relaxing on the beach :D

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hmm this is tricky! What can i say, if it involves tackle, and water, i usualy do it and enjoy!

I must say match fishing has givin me a certain buzz, and i realy enjoy it. Bieng accepted into the scottish jnr team last year was one of my proudest moments.I got the same kick this year in the youths:) For me there is something very addictive about competing with other anglers, i think it helps me learn quite alot.

Light line pollack fishing, now thats something! Flyfishing in saltwater - i enjoy this no-end. Wee schoolies can kick like feck on the fly rod! Wintyer cod fishing... Doggy hauling, congers :confused: Im now confusing everything. I realy enjoy specimen hunting...

There is no feeling quite like hooking into your first Common Skate, and looking round to your coach for the day and thinking, am i snagged....HELP, what next etc etc!!!!

Fishing that i dont enjoy so much, even harder question... There isnt much! Especialy in sea angling. I spent years a long time ago fly fishing for trout. Now i was probably a far better fly angler than i have ever been a sea angler as far as trout go. After one season of trout bashing i was pig-sick of it! I felt i was repeating myself something stupid. I landed good amounts of doubles up to 18lb and felt i had reached a barrier... Where to go??? Sea angling, never have and wont ever look back :D

Tight Lines
Shaun

:cool:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

anything that requires the use of a rod, line & hooks :)

Though my fave has to be Common skate fishing, not just the catching but being able to watch fellow anglers catch a fish of a lifetime.

Thing I hate???

not being able to get out fishing

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Thanks Mick the Fish, what a great posting!

How about an article about your patterns (well some of them at least!!!) and tackle.

It would also be valuable to consider types of venue, time of day/tide and time of year perhaps!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
somewhere on chesil beach on a nippy november night. especially when its fishing its a** off. i'm happy to fish for anything that swims so chesil is perfect in the winter for doggies, whiting, pout, sole ect..... i love it when your lead only just hits the seabed and all hell breaks loose!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Codfather2 said:
somewhere on chesil beach on a nippy november night. especially when its fishing its a** off. i'm happy to fish for anything that swims so chesil is perfect in the winter for doggies, whiting, pout, sole ect..... i love it when your lead only just hits the seabed and all hell breaks loose!
sounds bloody lovely, just remember me when you go :)

·
Banned
396 Posts
mines climbin out ov me old camper with a belly full of curry and a few brandys........... an hour before high water on the life boat station on st bees front....... a nice s westerly blowin isle o man light house glowin now n then, if im lucky a few shootin stars......and a couple o cod.......winters comin......bliss

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Codfather2 said:
i'm happy to fish for anything that swims
I'm just happy to wet a line. To catch fish, big or small it's a buzz. The anticipation of the line tightening and pulling into the extra weight. A string of Mackeral or a good Cod it's a thrill to be out there. Making up a few rigs for the coming session and preparing the rest of the tackle and the bait. To target a certain species and fulfill your aim is very special.
I'm going fishing tomorrow, I'm like a little lad again, on christmas eve.
All fishing is my favourite fishing.
"Ain't Fishing Brilliant?" ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts